Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 11:43 PM

144 posts, read 597,792 times

Advertisements

Not sure where to put this, but what does the BCC mean to you on the email?

The situation: I attended a program recently where I was apart of a group. I was however the only one who was not from the same institution where the program was held. We all met together several times so everyone there knew I was not from their institution. I felt slightly uncomfortable by the way the program leaders acted towards me. A few of the minor examples, when giving instructions to the group the program leader specifically named "XXX institution participants you need to do xy thing......etc", if we were to do something she always seemed to be speaking directly to only the people from her institution. I basically just assumed that I was to do what ever the other people were doing, but she didn't try to be inclusive like " ok everyone this is what you need to do".

Back to the email etiquette, when she emailed instructions or program materials everyone except me was listed in the TO, I was the only one listed in the BCC.

These are very minor examples of things that made me uncomfortable, I was singled out in other more obvious uncomfortable situations, but I just want to know what people think about this because I have to complete an evaluation about the program and I want to see if I should even list this as an example of what I did not enjoy about the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 05:30 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,013,056 times
The purpose of BCC is that any addresses entered there will not be seen by others getting the email, so people getting the mail won't also get your email address along with it, it's a privacy thing. I think your question has more to do with motive and why the person did what they did, that we can't tell you.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,131,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekia02 View Post
Back to the email etiquette, when she emailed instructions or program materials everyone except me was listed in the TO, I was the only one listed in the BCC.
Just so you don't feel as singled out, there could have been other BCC recipients, but only the sender would be able to see them listed.

Old 08-03-2009, 07:41 AM

1,095 posts, read 4,000,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Just so you don't feel as singled out, there could have been other BCC recipients, but only the sender would be able to see them listed.
Exactly. Anyone who was on the BCC list would see only his or her name on the BCC, and everyone's on the regular TO list. Plus, this allowed people from the institution to "reply all" to follow up on the email.

Old 08-03-2009, 12:22 PM

761 posts, read 3,417,382 times
Maybe also, they put you on the BCC as you were from a different institution and all the people that were from the same institution can already find everyones email address in the Global Address List off of thier Exchange Server.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:45 AM

122 posts, read 428,125 times
BCC is not worth much these days since so many email providers seem to automatically redirect BCC emails to JUNK/SPAM folders.

Old 08-13-2009, 05:34 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,630,166 times
One of the things that I use BCC for is copying my boss on something without the email receipient knowing. Sometimes she needs to be in the loop but I don't want the email receiver to think I am "telling" on them or something.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:34 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,118,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
One of the things that I use BCC for is copying my boss on something without the email receipient knowing. Sometimes she needs to be in the loop but I don't want the email receiver to think I am "telling" on them or something.
This I also use BCC for archival purposes. Some accounts setup on my mail server automatically BCC to another account. One is so my phone gets important messages and another is so there is an archival copy of the status emails going somewhere.

In your case it could be a privacy thing. You are not part of their organization so she is treating your email differently, protecting it. Then again from the first part of your email she could be excluding you (they won't see that you also got the email and you won't see any reply alls that they make) so everyone else things she is only paying attention to them.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,941,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goo++ View Post
BCC is not worth much these days since so many email providers seem to automatically redirect BCC emails to JUNK/SPAM folders.
I wouldn't make that leap. There have been several good examples of why bcc is useful given in this thread. Read them over. It is no longer cool to let a large distribution of strangers see each others e-mail addresses in a mass mailing.

H

Old 08-22-2009, 01:34 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,559,654 times
More often than not, I have seen BCC as a CYA thing like bs13690 says and I have seen it sorely backfire when the person who was on the BCC line hits "reply all" and the unknowing person on the "to" line finds out someone else was copied.

If I need to share a sensitive email and I don't want the person on the "to" line to know then I will forward that email instead of BCC so that a reply all does not create problems.

THough I don't ever forward anything that could be construed in any way as sensitive that was written by someone else without asking the author. Have seen that one backfire on people too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet