Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 11:13 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times

Advertisements

I just switched from DSL to Comcast Cable internet, and can't seem to get my wireless connection going. The direct ethernet connection works fine, but my wi-fi router seems stuck on the old connection... it keeps saying "local only," and the lights blink when I connect it to the new modem. I'm using a Netgear router and RCA Comcast modem, on an HP Pavilion laptop. Any suggestions?? I'm going to call tech support, but they weren't much help the last time I tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
The Cable Modem from Comcast does not have a router built in? The 'direct' connection you speak of, that would be the Internet out from the Comcast modem? Does the Netgear router have any 'wired' connections? If so do they work? Does the Netgear have some kind of hard reset button?

H

Old 08-22-2009, 01:27 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
My wired connection is working fine, both with and without using the router... I'm just trying to get the wireless to work. And yes, by "direct connection" I mean from the Comcast modem to my computer - sorry, I don't know all the technical lingo.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:33 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
We are actually getting somewhere, believe it or not. That is how troubleshooting works. However, you have established that your router does work when connected to the cable modem. Good. As you may know, to access the wireless portion you have to go through the browser based control software. If you put your router on the cable modem and use one of the wired outputs to connect to your laptop the url (web address) 198.162.1.1 entered on the address line of your browser will usually take you to the router control software. This maybe enough to jog your memory if you did this before. If you never changed the factory default admin in both the username and password fields will get you in. First thing I would do is find some kind of "factory default" setting or at least remove any security, etc. settings. If your wireless can then work you can see where they might have gone wrong.

H

Old 08-24-2009, 05:13 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Find the manual for your router and find out how to do a hard reset and start over, get it working with no wireless encryption, then set that once you can connect.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:11 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,700,185 times
Try the other posters' ideas first.

Keep in mind if you see something like this happens again, consider doing an IP release on the router. Depending on your settings, you might be limiting the number of devices (wireless or wired) to a certain number. It is possible that all those devices might still think they are a certain IP when the router no longer recognizes them. This would create a kind of deadlock. Power cycling the router and/or power cycling the devices could fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet