Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:34 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times

Advertisements

No, I don't leave it on, I put it to sleep. And the 2 sets of emails were sent when the computer was off and I was either in bed asleep or out. But I don't shut down. Can a hijacker get into a sleeping computer? Is hibernating better? Or do I need to shut down?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2009, 02:00 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
No, I don't leave it on, I put it to sleep. And the 2 sets of emails were sent when the computer was off and I was either in bed asleep or out. But I don't shut down. Can a hijacker get into a sleeping computer? Is hibernating better? Or do I need to shut down?

Okay, they were AOL and Gmail, web based emails. You computer is clean according to AV and Malwarebytes.

This almost certainly means someone has figured out your email passwords.

A hijacker cannot get into a computer that is turned off unless you have Wake on Lan turned on. Most people don't, and you have to specifically turn it on. I really do not think at this point there is any problem with your computer itself. It is simply your email accounts that have been compromised.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:27 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
YES!!! Shut it down!! A computer that is "asleep" is still on and can be awakened remotely then hacked! (your power supply will also last longer too)

Old 11-08-2009, 08:36 AM

As long as you are behind a firewall you can leave your PC on, asleep, hibernete, whatever. I leave mine on for weeks at a time, protected by my router's firewall.

If you are on broadband, most likely there is a firewall already in place and turned on in your provider's equipment. If you aren't sure, we can investigate, or you can just call them and ask.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
As long as you are behind a firewall you can leave your PC on, asleep, hibernete, whatever. I leave mine on for weeks at a time, protected by my router's firewall.

If you are on broadband, most likely there is a firewall already in place and turned on in your provider's equipment. If you aren't sure, we can investigate, or you can just call them and ask.
Whoa! Bad advice and uninformed practice. There is no way that your computer can be hacked if there is no power to it. If you run PC's then you are very exposed to remote hacking.....firewall (no fire wall is 100% sure) or not.

Besides why be so lazy that you can't reach over and turn off the power switch.

Old 11-08-2009, 02:57 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Whoa! Bad advice and uninformed practice. There is no way that your computer can be hacked if there is no power to it. If you run PC's then you are very exposed to remote hacking.....firewall (no fire wall is 100% sure) or not.

There seems to be a lot of bad advise being handed.

The attack the OP suffered very likely came in through an email. And whether the computer was on and unattended, or on with a person sitting in front of it is rather a moot point.

If a computer is on and behind a NAT firewall, it will not be hacked by an outsider (assuming a few very basic steps have been taken to secure the router) as all inbound unsolicited traffic is dropped. That is not just maybe, or sometimes, but always.

The only real protection that might have served the OP is a software firewall that also monitors email activity, and prevents emails being sent with more than 'x' number of recipients or no more than a 'x' emails in a minute. (both are configurable) and in both cases the firewall will prompt you if this behavior is OK, which it might be.

If it happened at the mail server, the only sure way to not have your email address used as such is to not have an email address.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Whoa! Bad advice and uninformed practice. There is no way that your computer can be hacked if there is no power to it.
I agree. And for even more security against hacking, don't have a computer at all.

Quote:
If you run PC's then you are very exposed to remote hacking.....firewall (no fire wall is 100% sure) or not.
The only thing that *is* 100% sure is that we are all going to die. Everything else is risk assessment.

So, knowing that, some of us feel that the protection afforded by a secured router firewall is worth the risk of a hacker wanting to spend the time and effort to penetrate that firewall.

Quote:
Because there are things I want my computer to do when I'm not sitting in front of it. They do more than just play games and check email, you know.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
There seems to be a lot of bad advise being handed. Oh, really?

(assuming a few very basic steps have been taken to secure the router)
Assuming anything when it comes to your personal security is folly of the first order don't'ch think?

If it ain't got power then it can't work....right?

Old 11-09-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Because there are things I want my computer to do when I'm not sitting in front of it. They do more than just play games and check email, you know.
Hey, Ok by me. Just take your lumps if/when you get hacked.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:38 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Someone got your old email address and used it to make their spam appear legitimate.
This is what I'd place bets on.

Quote:
They may also have gotten hold of your address book from your email.
I'd estimate there's a 99% chance that his email address was sold or harvested via the OP using it online and is being circulated in mailing lists that are sold to spammers, rather than his email address being harvested by intrusive methods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet