Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:54 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,714,991 times

Advertisements

yahoo account users,

All yahoo free account owners,We are having congestions due to the anonymous registration of yahoo accounts so we are shutting down some yahoo accounts and your account was among those to be deleted.We are sending you this email so that you can verify and let us know if you still want to use this account.If you are still interested please confirm your account by filling the space below. Your Username, Password, Date of Birth and your Country information would be needed to verify your Account...

Due to the congestion in all Yahoo users and removal of all unused Yahoo Accounts, Yahoo would be shutting down all unused Accounts, You will have to confirm your E-mail by filling out your Login Information below after clicking the reply button, or your account will be suspended within 48 hours for security reasons.

* Username:
* Password:
* Date of Birth:
* Country Or Territory:

After following the instructions in the sheet, your account will not be interrupted and will continue as normal. Thanks for your attention to this request. We apologize for any inconveniences. Warning!!! Account owner that refuses to update his/her account after two days of receiving this warning stands the risk of lossing his or her account permanently.

The Yahoo Management
http://pulse2.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/microsoft-yahoo_logos1.png (broken link)

Note to Yahoo! users....Yahoo! shuts down old accounts without telling you!
Had an account since 1995...with a 4 digit password it was so old...used it often like every day or weekly...one day it was GONE! After having used it the day before.
Yahoo! doesn't tell you...they just close 'em down!
So please if you get something like this- don't respond...delete and move on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 11:22 AM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
It must be a scam! They ask you to give them your password - something what the real Yahoo should never ask. The other questions are just a "masking" the real purpose.
Contact your Yahoo customer service immediately. Do not reply to this email.

Edited: see here - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1151652AAsVclD
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1201613AAB3Dgu

Old 04-15-2010, 11:30 AM

894 posts, read 1,127,407 times
Look at the structure of that email that was sent to you. The sentence structure is terrible, and where there should have been periods there were comma's. This is what's known as a "phishing" email. They're asking for your logins ... which is something Yahoo! does NOT do.

I'm pretty sure Yahoo! has an email address or contact information somewhere on their site where you'd be able to report this phishing email.

Last edited by Bo; 04-15-2010 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: corrected the spelling of "phishing" in two places :)

Old 04-15-2010, 03:35 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
I think it's also account-services.

Does Yahoo kill your account if you put in an unreachable e-mail account in your contact?

I just edited my contact so it doesn't link my Yahoo! account to my cable internet e-mail account anymore. I put in my old e-mail destination from a dial-up ISP that's out of business.

I received two unsolicited e-mails from the same person trying to make a Yahoo! connection to my account. Ealier in the week, I received two requests in my inbox and just deleted them. This incoming e-mail went to my Yahoo! inbox and concurrently to my Comcast inbox. Each of the requests also used an alias instead of my e-mail address.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:41 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,501,624 times
Please people, never reply to any emails asking for your password.

This is basic phishing 101.

Old 04-15-2010, 03:54 PM

@Bowie, thanks for catching my typo's. I'm blind and sometimes don't check the posts with the screen reader prior to posting it (plus I'm sick with a 104 fever right now anyway )

Old 04-15-2010, 07:16 PM

61,734 posts, read 87,147,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by {geek} View Post
@Bowie, thanks for catching my typo's. I'm blind and sometimes don't check the posts with the screen reader prior to posting it (plus I'm sick with a 104 fever right now anyway )
Typical geek... sick like a dog, but on Internet....

Old 04-16-2010, 09:57 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,425,146 times
It is kinda cute. Some baby phisher trying to do a phishing email.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
@LOL. Yep. Felt too ill to lay down, ached anyway. So, I just surfed around in here yesterday.

I'm feeling much better today though and the fever finally broke about 4:00am this morning.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
LMAO! Yeah, I think geek is a tried and true internet junkie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet