Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 10:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times

Advertisements

You have to LOG IN to edit the account info (Create an account)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig
Yes you did. They are using a combination of publicly available data such as telephones and addresses, along with information you voluntarily supplied to various website such as Facebook.
Sorry i dont use that trash site!! (Or any site like it!!)

My grandmother didnt even have a computer so how did they get her info?

Its very hard bud trying to keep private now!! (Its quite scary)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:13 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
You have to LOG IN to edit the account info (Create an account)

Sorry i dont use that trash site!! (Or any site like it!!)
How about a webforum, such as C-D. Or an email such as Hotmail. Or have you reviewed any products on Amazon?

There are any number of ways.

Quote:
My grandmother didnt even have a computer so how did they get her info?
Death certificates are public information. They access the digital records the government has on her.

Quote:
Its very hard bud trying to keep private now!! (Its quite scary)
Yes. Information is power, so everyone wants information about you.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:51 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
1. Never use your real name to sign up for anything. Never. Not ever, ever, ever. When you use a credit card online, do not allow the vendor to store or cache the credit card data.
Yet Paypal mandates that they cache your card information or you can never use that card through paypal again. Thus I don't use paypal.

Nor will I provide them with my checking account information and allow them to access it, which they accomplish by the two small deposits they make to your account to remove the spending cap they impose.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yet Paypal mandates that they cache your card information or you can never use that card through paypal again. Thus I don't use paypal.

Nor will I provide them with my checking account information and allow them to access it, which they accomplish by the two small deposits they make to your account to remove the spending cap they impose.

Yes, Paypal is a privacy disaster of the worst kind. What is worse is that they have locked down the entire eBay system to go through Paypal in some way or another. No more money orders, checks, or cash.

Stupid and dangerous.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, Paypal is a privacy disaster of the worst kind. What is worse is that they have locked down the entire eBay system to go through Paypal in some way or another. No more money orders, checks, or cash.

Stupid and dangerous.
Dang, I haven't been on ebay in a while, and if that is the case, I shall never return.

Greedy and corrupt.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:43 PM

494 posts, read 890,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Very interesting,especially for Facebook fans!

Erasing Your Digital Tracks on the Web - PCWorld
Meh, whatever. I use several different pseudonyms online, and never my real name or phone number or address. Not only that but my name is not unusual at all so that makes it even harder for someone to track me down.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:02 AM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
Quote:

Stupid and dangerous.
You can still pay with checks, money orders, and cash on ebay if the seller agrees. The seller just isn't allowed to advertise or even hint in any way that they accept mail-in payments. And the buyer is not covered by any of the PP or ebay buyer protection guarantees if they don't use PP.

Just sayin . . .

Old 05-12-2010, 10:25 AM

Realistically true. Also a violation of eBay TOS:

Quote:
Notes:
  • Payment by personal check, cashier’s check, bank-to-bank transfers, or money order isn't allowed for most eBay purchases.
  • This doesn't apply to: some Motors categories, the Real Estate and Adult Only categories, and capital equipment. For a list of excluded categories, see the accepted payments policy.
Selecting payment methods

Edited to add:

I think buyers and sellers should be absolutely free to negotiate whatever payment method they want, including circumventing these arbitrary restrictions. eBay's very forceful routing of payments through certain services smacks of monopoly strong-arm tactics, and because of that one reason alone I refuse to shop eBay anymore.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 3,408,849 times
True. That link you posted is in the Sellers TOS.
Here it is again under the Accepted Payments Policy
Quote:
Payment methods not allowed on eBay:

For most categories, sellers can't ask buyers to:

Send cash through the mail
Send cash or money orders through instant, point-to-point cash transfer services (that are not banks) such as Western Union or MoneyGram
Mail checks or money orders (except for items in categories specifically permitted below)
Pay through bank-to-bank transfers (except for items in categories specifically permitted below)
Pay by "topping off" a seller's prepaid credit or debit card
Pay using online or other payment methods not specifically permitted in this policy
But notice the wording that I bolded.
The seller can't ASK. But the buyer can pay with whatever means he has as long as the seller agrees to it.

But trying to analyze the ebay semantics-riddled TOS can make you crazy. The way I see it, it's my inventory, ebay advertises it for me, thanks so much ebay, I paid my fees, now get out of my business.

They're continuing to lock it down though. Pretty soon there will be no way to communicate except through the ebay messaging system. Like Amazon has.

Talk about online privacy - eBay and Amazon REALLY track your movements. They serve up ads according to your search. They remember what you looked at last time you visited the site. It's a little creepy.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by egglady View Post
Talk about online privacy - eBay and Amazon REALLY track your movements. They serve up ads according to your search. They remember what you looked at last time you visited the site. It's a little creepy.
I have long avoided ebay for the simple reason they were clearly in bed with paypal, now it sounds like they are really getting heated under the covers.

Amazon is in business to sell stuff, and yes they do track my interests and purchases. That just makes business sense. However they do not impose stupid rules that I can only pay via a specific method, or mandate that they cache my CC info.

Another hazard of paypal. If you do allow them access to your checking account information, and I guess some people might find this necessary. Then if you make a purchase they will by default draft the purchase from your checking instead of charging it to the CC you have on file with them. You have to explicitly specify they are to the charge on your CC.

This saves them money, they don't have to pay the small fee to the credit card company, plus it bypasses any protection you have in a dispute that credit card companies provide, not to mention the suprise of overdrawing your account because you assume the purchase went on your CC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet