Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 06:18 PM

764 posts, read 1,559,219 times

Advertisements

I'm betting the market is going to go down tommorow due to the presidential address today, but oil is going up. Obama says he is shutting down offshore drilling until they fully understand what when wrong. He is also taking over BP to make sure they pay out everybody on the gulf coast. His words not mine. I think the market is going to react negatively, any other thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 06:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,776 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Not just oil, but US ECONOMY is in trouble with this kinda talk. Does this guy have a (business) clue?

He is no warrior, that's for sure.

USA laughing stock of the world.... again...

This is a lot bigger issue than an oil leak. And no 'wishing' (or 'demanding') is gonna lead us through.

Oil will go up to punish USA's inept leadership.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:26 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,764,653 times
Yeah, it was full of unnecessary rhetoric and I'm planning to buy me some XOM and CVX asap

Tomorrow's gonnabe a field day, but XOM and CVX have some offshore drilling interests too.

Honestly, the market's gonna react berserk tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:36 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,037,554 times
Tonight speach (Long term) will make no difference, The market will freq for few days, then seatle down. Over the next 20/30 years if the US comes up with a energy plan and stucks it it we can get off of alot of oil, but something will alway need oil, and the rest of the world will still be buying it.

Old 06-15-2010, 08:59 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,359,987 times
Obama's rhetoric won't change energy policy overnight. All the more reason to load up on big oil stocks, particularly if obama makes us even more reliant on foreign oil by curtailing domestic production.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM

Make BP pay? May be out of Obama's control - Disaster in the Gulf- msnbc.com

Quote:
In assuring Americans on Tuesday that BP won't control the compensation fund for Gulf oil spill recovery, President Barack Obama failed to mention that the government won't control it, either.

That means it's anyone's guess whether the government can, in fact, make BP pay all costs related to the spill.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:10 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,037,554 times
One item that seem to being missed. BP overlimit ins coverage is from AIG. Who owns AIG. US taxpayers. So if the gov get BP to put up a few billion AIG will have to pay it. AIG will need money and it will get it from the taxpayers.

Old 06-15-2010, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
One item that seem to being missed. BP overlimit ins coverage is from AIG. Who owns AIG. US taxpayers. So if the gov get BP to put up a few billion AIG will have to pay it. AIG will need money and it will get it from the taxpayers.
hadnt heard that. Do you have a link?

Old 06-16-2010, 04:39 AM

48 posts, read 101,659 times
i am no oil expert, but given that we have so much barrels of oil pumping out of our coast, should we not do more research into how we can harvest all that potential oil instead of a moritorium???

Old 06-16-2010, 07:18 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,287,937 times
740 million gals of oil are released into the ocean every year (from motor oil dumped by people, and natural ocean floor seeps). People need to relax. An article I read last week said the oil spill has killed 38 birds. Do people know how many birds die every day from hunters in the country? Relax people. The media is blowing this way out of proportion. These fisherman know that fishing in the gulf is a risk-- just like the farmer knows that farming has risk of drought. No one comes and pays me when the risks I take don't make me money...

Also, the real people to blame for this are the environmentalists. They are why BP was drilling in 5000' deep water in the first place (the environmentalist pushed for regulations to stop drilling near the shore). If this well was drilled near the shore, then this so called "disaster" (as the media would have you believe) would have been capped in one day.

Also, Obama is just making it harder for BP to pay back its damages. Good job Obama! Another failure. When are we going to kick him out and elect someone who knows what they are talking about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing