Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 06:34 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,734,289 times

Advertisements

I am trying to become a daily trader. Generally, I buy and hold them for a while before dumping them. But with the market becoming so volatile, one can easily use it to his advantage. But with the discount brokers, the funds wait to get settled for 3 business days.

Buying and selling before it gets settled can be a free ride. How do you avoid that? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 07:27 PM

2,191 posts, read 4,808,929 times
I'm pretty sure you just have to buy into a margin account with most of them and you have that ability as well as some others like shorting stocks. I don't know what the rules are for that...probably some cash on hand in a money market account or possibly paying slightly more for certain trades.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:47 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,283,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I am trying to become a daily trader. Generally, I buy and hold them for a while before dumping them. But with the market becoming so volatile, one can easily use it to his advantage. But with the discount brokers, the funds wait to get settled for 3 business days.

Buying and selling before it gets settled can be a free ride. How do you avoid that? Thoughts?
Gotta buy on margin. Be careful-- this can be dangerous!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 AM

630 posts, read 1,875,180 times
To date,anytime I get a 'speeding ticket', I call the active trading desk of my broker,tell them there exists other firms where my money might be better appreciated,they apologize and cave.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:02 AM

879 posts, read 1,963,060 times
Yep, just need to open a margin account. The federal minimum to open one is $2k, but some brokers make their minimum higher. You don't need to USE your margin if you open a margin account--many traders open them for the sole purpose of avoiding settlement issues. If you don't use your margin, it's no more "dangerous" than using a cash account--and no more expensive in the way of fees, etc.

The thing to be aware of in a margin account, however, are the pattern day trading rules. If you're going to be day trading regularly (4 or more times in a 5-business day period), you'll be tagged a pattern day trader and need to maintain a minimum of $25k in your account. This only applies to DAY TRADING, which is the opening and closing of the same position on the SAME DAY. You can do as many OVERNIGHT trades as you like with no problem (and no minimum account balance).

Old 08-02-2010, 09:10 PM

720 posts, read 3,008,216 times
Default What is a free ride trade?

Not sure what a free ride trade is but my scottrade will allow me to trade before funds settle but it gives a warning message and calls it a free ride trade.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:03 AM

879 posts, read 1,963,060 times
A free ride is when you SELL something that you haven't technically PAID for yet. Example:

Monday you sell XYZ. This trade will settle 3 days later (on Thursday).

Tuesday you buy ABC with those unsettled funds. This is permitted, but you may get a "be careful" warning.

Wednesday you sell ABC. This is a free ride violation because you sold ABC before it was paid for. It will be paid for on Thursday when your sale of XYZ settles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing