Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:25 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Gutsy move AC, but agree you have to trust your instincts.

I'm more of a buy and hold for a couple years type and I'm getting ready to go long big oil.
I see that's why you have the nickname

I have already covered and it has appreciated 41 cents since.

Did I just collect my special Exxon dividend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:34 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
I see that's why you have the nickname

I have already covered and it has appreciated 41 cents since.

Did I just collect my special Exxon dividend
Well the question was whether or not it was a good idea to short the most profitable company in the world (XOM).

As an example: I could go to vegas and put $100,000 on black-- and WIN! Does that make what I did a good idea?

You can't justify the act by the results-- in your case it seems kind of like gambling. But I'm glad it worked out for you. Just be careful when you are day trading because I know lots of people who get burned doing that type of investing. Also, if I were you I'd rely more on technical analysis, then I would on news stories or what you think the other bears are doing. And if you must rely on news stories-- remember this quote-- "Buy on rumor, sell on news" (too many people do it the other way around-- "Buy on news, sell on rumor")

Old 09-16-2010, 07:37 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,280,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Alright, gang, this is just in.

Another downgrade on Exxon. This time it's RBC. It appears natural gas is being touted as a disaster.

Should I man up and short 800 more I have enough buying power now.

If it drops a couple dollars, I'll make some sweet profit. And then I'll probably not mind being an XOM bagholder
For clarity-- In my above post I was referring to the news story of "the downgrade of XOM"

Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 AM

No more shorting, cyclone. I'll hold this thousand for a while. But I am also getting tempted to sell it at a minor profit and maintain power balance in the account needed to short a couple thousand

But honestly, I don't like sitting and speculating on it all day, like the shorties do. I'll hold this for a while.

AONE just surged nearly 80 cents. This company and those like it can potentially screw the oil majors in the long run. I have a huge position in AONE

It might become a future blue chip, who knows.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:58 AM

Something is wrong with Exxon. For the thousand I bought in the middle of the BP crisis hoping BP's mess would help it increase, it has not appreciated much at all. Looks like the only way to profit is to short and release more in the coming days, but it's too much stress.

Even chevron dipped to the 60s at that time but they have recovered back to 78.

Looks like it won't cross 63 for a while.

My apologies to all you devoted XOM investors. I put massive amount of money and entered exxon and I have not seen any sizeable profit since. Some of the funds I had to take from money my father had collected over the years, which I inherited after he passed away. And it sucked to see the shorts making merry and speaking about it, as I was a continuing bag holder.

So I picked more out of the daddy fund to help me short and at least make some profit since my investment has not returned anything at all, yet. But it was kind of stupid to sit all day and watch it go up and down anxiously. I do not have the stomach to short. That is for sure. I like investing and expecting it to swell. I made about 400 bucks, and frankly I didn't even do my profession normally yesterday.

I have sent oil dog a word to put this thread to rest. Don't wanna encourage shorting.

Last edited by Currency Pair Crocodile; 09-16-2010 at 12:29 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 02:35 AM

LOL, I think I wanna short Hyundai today
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing