Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 07:38 AM

720 posts, read 3,008,216 times

Advertisements

I used to trade FAZ and FAZ I guess one was basically the bank doing good while the other one was banks ding bad.

Wondering if there's anything similar for real estate. SPecifically looking for something that shorts commercial real estate but anything shorting real estate in general would be what im looking for.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 02:05 PM

879 posts, read 1,963,060 times
SRS & DRV. Wouldn't recommend holding these for long periods of time, though.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,653,312 times
SRS for sure. Don't plan on it being a long-term investment though. I've noticed though that even if bad numbers come out for real estate it doesn't mean that SRS will go up. It seems to correlate more with what the general stock market does. If the stock market goes up, SRS will usually be down...and vice versa.

Old 09-23-2010, 03:58 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,314,772 times
Why do people wait until a sector hits rock bottom and then go short?

Old 09-23-2010, 05:03 PM

720 posts, read 3,008,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Sounds like your assuming the real estate market has bottomed out. Thoguh I would agree that I dont think residential real estate is going to go much lower, though it isn't improving anytime soon commercial real estate hasn't even begun its decline.

Also, a while back lots of people were making a killing off FAZ and FAS. Even after banking kind of bottomed out you could still make good money trading on the swings until both these stocks did reverse splits and got too expensive for myself and many others to play around with any longer

Old 09-23-2010, 08:14 PM

692 posts, read 3,143,193 times
SRS is an Ultra Short position which means 2X the move.

Pretty much follows the SP 500 at this time.

I'm in right now with 5000 shares .... Bought 2 days ago

Short term play this time. Get out by Oct 8th.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:01 AM

879 posts, read 1,963,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I've noticed though that even if bad numbers come out for real estate it doesn't mean that SRS will go up. It seems to correlate more with what the general stock market does. If the stock market goes up, SRS will usually be down...and vice versa.
SRS is tied (inversely) to the Dow Jones U.S. Real Estate Index (DJUSRE). If "bad numbers" don't negatively affect the stocks in the index, SRS won't be affected either. You're right, though, that the real estate index and the broader market often move similarly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565
Also, a while back lots of people were making a killing off FAZ and FAS.
Some still are making money on those two. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565
Even after banking kind of bottomed out you could still make good money trading on the swings until both these stocks did reverse splits and got too expensive for myself and many others to play around with any longer
Well, I don't see how the reverse split would affect anything (it certainly didn't affect me). FAS/FAZ still move 3x the index on a daily basis, and with the same amount invested, you still make just as much money. In fact, volatility increased a bit after the split, so the potential was there to make (or lose) even MORE money.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:53 AM

692 posts, read 3,143,193 times
Pulled the trigger on SRS end of market Thursday with 5% gain. Market showing to much strength here until the Election over.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:49 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,653,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
I really don't believe housing has hit bottom yet in most areas. Low interest rates and government intervention in the past year has kept in inflated, but without that eventually it still has more to go.

There is still a high unemployment rate, housing still overpriced in some markets, a shadow inventory of foreclosure homes, and very few buyers. Housing doesn't look good and eventually many of the distressed and bank-owned homes will have to be dumped on the market.

Plus, people have stopped looking at housing as an investment as much as the government still thinks it is. Fannie and Freddie are still a mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing