Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,600,425 times

Advertisements

Capitalism and greed go hand in hand. It's merely the nature of it. Capitalism is a powerful tool but it needs rules or it falls apart.

Also, I mean't to say "that's not what it's really about" in that last sentence. I though I'd edited that but apparently not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 PM

25,574 posts, read 56,520,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
At some point greed has to be superseded by the desire to hold your country's standard of living at an acceptably high level, otherwise it turns into a dangerous crap hole like Mexico or any other 3rd-world loser out there. That's the biggest picture IMO.
Therein lies the rub. The upper tiers are not threatened by a reduction in their standard of living and have NO CLUE about the rest of the population. I truly believe they don't care. $14/hr & no benes; $20/hr - it's all a horse apiece to them, when they can get foreign workers for $6/hr.

Heard a guy for the USChamber of Commerce today on C-Span. Woman from Texas called who had run a medical transcriptionist business and had 20 employees. Had to close because work was outsourced overseas. His answer: start another business.

Another woman from FL in construction business. Had to lay off a ton of workers. FL gov. turned down federal train money which she says would have employed 25,000 people, had ridership and made a profit. The state would not have been subject to operating/cost overruns as Siemans was willing to guarantee this. His answer: Well Siemans is an international company - in other words, stop complaining about the international companies. You have a political issue there. Very smug guy. He was stubbornly tone-deaf to what he was hearing and is really going on on the ground.

It's hopeless, really. I don't think they will care about reduced standard of living, decaying infrastructure even if it is Mexico here some day, because they know they won't be living here.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:57 AM

14,496 posts, read 20,693,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't feel positive myself....

The WORLD has the most debt ever in its history....14 trillion in the U.S......

This article and its related reading of three outstanding books aspires to provide convincing arguments that an economic collapse is coming.
It is believed that deflation, not inflation, is the problem.

Gold is not a solution.

3 Arguments For An Inevitable Economic Collapse - Seeking Alpha

Old 01-01-2012, 05:44 PM

49 posts, read 65,561 times
Default Such Talk can destroy the Dollar as world's reserve currency?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

Such talk can destroy the dollar as the world's #1 reserve currency.

Nonsense!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing