Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2019, 07:19 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,729,427 times

Advertisements

I’ve been reading reviews about Ameriprise investments and nearly all point to incredibly high maintenance/investment fees. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Vanguard seems to have the best rep for the lowest fees.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 04:11 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,302,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I’ve been reading reviews about Ameriprise investments and nearly all point to incredibly high maintenance/investment fees. Does anyone have any personal experience with this? Vanguard seems to have the best rep for the lowest fees.
You don't need Ameriprise for anything. If you want to trade actively, do your homework including info posted on these very boards. If you don't want trade actively - then buy some diversified (mix of bonds and stocks) low cost funds and be done with it. In my opinion Fidelity is the best but that's because I've been with them since the early 90's. Or as you said, Vanguard, or there are many other options. I say diversified funds rather than an S&P index fund because the markets have been up for so many years in a row, and they have been up huge since Trump got into office. Election on the way next year. Protect yourself to the downside at least a little. Just my two cents.

Old 12-27-2019, 04:56 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,238,172 times
One of my friends and his mother used to use an Ameriprise advisor. He asked me to look at his portfolio a couple of years ago. It was a mess of front-loaded sector funds with high ERs, thinly traded partnerships, variable annuities and other inappropriate high-commission junk. There seemed to be no theme to the portfolio construction other than generate the highest commissions possible. My friend said the advisor rotated some of his holdings every year. You can guess why. He is still trying to unwind some of less-liquid assets two years later after beginning his move away from Ameriprise. The same advisor sold his mother a $200K annuity last year a month before her 86th birthday which is that particular annuity's age limit. She has dementia. The annuity can't be cashed out without penalty for 7 or 8 years (can't remember exact length). There may be some good Ameriprise guys out there but based on my knowledge of this one guy's style, I'd stay far away. The size of their average portfolio probably means they can't earn a decent living without selling most of their clients high-expense products that pay high commissions.

As BeerGeek said, you don't have to be a genius to build a simple appropriate portfolio that will cost you thousands of dollars less every year in expenses. Bogleheads is always a good place to begin your investment education.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:01 AM

106,793 posts, read 109,020,929 times
stay away is about the best advice

Old 12-27-2019, 05:15 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/is...ame-2017-11-16

Old 12-28-2019, 01:53 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,995,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
You don't need Ameriprise for anything. If you want to trade actively, do your homework including info posted on these very boards. If you don't want trade actively - then buy some diversified (mix of bonds and stocks) low cost funds and be done with it. In my opinion Fidelity is the best but that's because I've been with them since the early 90's. Or as you said, Vanguard, or there are many other options. I say diversified funds rather than an S&P index fund because the markets have been up for so many years in a row, and they have been up huge since Trump got into office. Election on the way next year. Protect yourself to the downside at least a little. Just my two cents.
I second this advice. This is why I'm always recommending balanced funds. The following balanced funds have gotten nearly the same or better returns as Vanguard's S&P 500 Index fund (cheap Institutional Share class), which returned 6.21% annualized over the last 20 years. Pick one of the below funds and just keep adding $$. I'd go for a lower cost fund like Vanguard Wellington or Dodge & Cox Balanced. The higher cost ones like Oakmark & FPA have great 20 year records but haven't done as well in the last decade and their higher expense ratios are a handicap.

Vanguard Balanced Index: 6.17%
Vanguard STAR: 6.90%
Fidelity Puritan: 6.94%
Mairs & Power Balanced: 7.50%
Fidelity Balanced: 7.59%
Vanguard Wellington: 7.95%
Dodge & Cox Balanced: 8.24%
Oakmark Equity & Income: 8.79%
FPA Crescent: 9.23%

Old 12-28-2019, 10:42 AM

23,575 posts, read 24,096,042 times
Years ago, a friend referred me to an Ameriprise advisor and I signed up for a retirement account with them.

I was invested in a lot of front loaded “A class” shares of various funds, mostly equity, some bond funds. The loads (5.75% front end load) and fees (1.5% of assets on some funds) on these funds are crazy high and are designed to make Ameriprise and the advisor wealthy, and not you. Also, there was a $500 annual account fee. Beware!

Comparing my returns to the industry benchmarks, Ameriprise could never beat them.
Ameriprise always underperformed the benchmarks. After a few years, I decided to close my account and move everything over to Fidelity. To add insult to injury, they charged me an account closing fee when I closed my account. I was appalled.

I would stay away from Ameriprise. Open an account at Vanguard or Fidelity and select your own investments. The fees are lower and you’ll likely achieve better investment results.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:30 PM

Just adding to my earlier post.

I actually had two retirement accounts at Ameriprise, one Rollover IRA and one Traditional IRA.

The Rollover had assets from previous company 401k’s. The Traditional account was just opened with new assets when I first joined Ameriprise. I had a small balance in the Traditional IRA for the first few years and was hit with a “small balance fee” of $20 per quarter ($80 annually). I cannot recall what the minimum account balance was to avoid that fee.

All of these fees and loads erode into your returns. You keep less and Ameriprise keeps more. I’ve never had these types of fees at Fidelity.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:41 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,729,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Just adding to my earlier post.

I actually had two retirement accounts at Ameriprise, one Rollover IRA and one Traditional IRA.

The Rollover had assets from previous company 401k’s. The Traditional account was just opened with new assets when I first joined Ameriprise. I had a small balance in the Traditional IRA for the first few years and was hit with a “small balance fee” of $20 per quarter ($80 annually). I cannot recall what the minimum account balance was to avoid that fee.

All of these fees and loads erode into your returns. You keep less and Ameriprise keeps more. I’ve never had these types of fees at Fidelity.
Do Fidelity or Vanguard have shareholders?

Old 12-28-2019, 06:22 PM

I believe Fidelity is independently owned by the Johnson family, so it’s not publicity traded.
I don’t know the ownership structure of Vanguard, but I don’t believe it’s a publicly traded company.

Quote:
Do Fidelity or Vanguard have shareholders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing