Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:59 AM

14,487 posts, read 20,678,405 times

Advertisements

YELP was offered by Charles Schwab.
Anyone offer on any shares?

I picked the techy type IPO's last year, like Invensense, EPAM, Jive, Groupon, Zynga, and made small amounts on each one.
So, since they were all winners I'm going to risk the profits from those and asking for 300 Yelp.

Hopefully after my 30 day lockup period I'll be yelling:
Go YELP!
and not HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 PM

674 posts, read 1,156,245 times
I am with Schwab also, I didn't get any kind of offer to buy any IPO. Do I need to have certain amount of money to get it?

Old 02-29-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
I am with Schwab also, I didn't get any kind of offer to buy any IPO. Do I need to have certain amount of money to get it?
I think they get X numer of shares.
Go to Schwab dot com and under the trade tab, looked at the IPO tab.
Go there and look.

Or call them and ask if you qualify, and if not, how.
I asked for 300 shares. I might get 300 or I might get none.

---------------------------------------------------
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. is pleased to announce its participation in the following offering.
Company: Yelp, Inc.
Business description: Yelp connects people with local businesses. The company's users have contributed a total of approximately 25 million cumulative reviews of almost every type of local business, from restaurants, boutiques and salons to dentists, mechanics, plumbers and more.
Expected offering size: 7,150,000 shares
Expected price range: $12.00 to $14.00
Expected pricing date: March 1, 2012

Last edited by howard555; 02-29-2012 at 02:19 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 01:49 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,940,501 times
I dont recall getting notice but I only have $300k with them.

Old 02-29-2012, 02:22 PM

Thank you so much Howard. I log into my account, I notice that I never sign up for the IPO. After doing that I can now see the Yelp shares offering.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much Howard. I log into my account, I notice that I never sign up for the IPO. After doing that I can now see the Yelp shares offering.
To buy or not to buy...........

Here are four ways to think about Yelp’s initial public offering, which set a price range earlier this month of $12 to $14 a share.

At the top end of the range, the company would have a market value of nearly $850 million. All told, using the online review site’s own methodology, the stock sale merits just two stars out of five.

Two stars – If you can’t get into Facebook, there should be room at Yelp. Same Silicon Valley vibe. Sure, it’s down-market by comparison. And it’s just crazy expensive – nine times revenue. It’ll probably get cheaper and fewer people will want to go there once Facebook opens up.

Three-and-a-half stars – This is an awesome LOCAL place with tons of regulars (66 million). And everybody loves tasty 75 percent revenue growth. Sure, it’s smallish at less than $1 billion, and with three underwriters, the fee portions will be smaller. But the mobile phone app is pretty rad, too. Go now and catch a quick pop with potential for even bigger gains in the future. You never know, it might even help you get into Facebook.

Two stars – Offerings kinda “meh.” The amateurs writing for Yelp are working for free, and most of the time you get what you pay for. Occasional surprise works of genius, but too many of the reviews are useless. Can’t compare to the curated, and consistent, pros at Google’s Zagat.

One star – Avoid! Yelp has been around for years, and always overpromises and under-delivers. The signature item for 2011 – the $83 million red-ink cocktail – is just gross. Like seriously sickening. It’s even worse than last year. And get this: Yelp has a VIP section reserved just for the founder, employees and other existing owners, so newcomers can’t change anything about the place. Google offers almost EXACTLY the same menu (except its black ink is much more appealing) and for a much lower multiple of revenue. Plus, when doing a search, it’s much easier to find what’s on offer. Hard to believe Yelp’s value will be sustainable.

Yelp IPO: four reviews, 2 stars out of 5 | Ethiopian News (http://www.ethiopianreview.com/index/v1/?p=7850 - broken link)

Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 AM

yelp still not trading? some thing changed?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
You must place a conditional order to purchase on the website, wait until it prices tonight after 7pm. Check the website tonight after 7pm to see the IPO final price. Then affirm your offer to purchase based on the final price. It could be 7pm-8pm-9pm. You can wait and affirm tomorrow but the deadline is 7am. If you are allocated any shares you would buy them at the IPO price between 7am and 9:30am.

It prices on March 1st. That means today so the first day of trading will be Friday.

If you did not place a conditional order to purchase, it is too late.
From the Schwab website:
Accepting COTPs? No......

Old 03-01-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
If YELP turns into HELP, I may be willing to sell you my shares.

It prices early tonight and begins trading tomorrow. Anticipation in the market is rather high. Hopefully, there are profits left, after my 30 day hold period.

Old 03-01-2012, 02:36 PM

When I called, I was told I have to hold it for 60 days otherwise, I will not be qualified for the next IPO. Maybe it's different for old customers. I just joined Schwab few months ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing