Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 03:55 PM

447 posts, read 743,095 times

Advertisements

My space was generally marketed for the teenager crowd. I think that was their downfall. I'm a believer in Facebook. Even the older generation are being drawn in to see the latest pics and updates of the Grand Kids!
901 million users can't be wrong!.........can they?

It seems like the marketplace always has room for two titans:
Apple vs. MicroSoft
Lowes vs. Home Depot
Target vs. Wall Mart
Google vs. Facebook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 12:54 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,184 times
Not.

I don't see value. Where are the revenue streams?

It either has to be constantly re inventing itself in the hopes of always being novel and therefore worthy of all the traffic it receives...

Or it has to flood itself with ads.

And neither of those things are particularly good in the long run. The ads might be tolerable...but the reinventing itself thing will eventually die out...and when people stop logging on, it's value is gone.

Plus, I think the guys who owned and managed facebook were smart enough to jump ship at near peak. Even if they weren't, they were smart enough to get people around them to tell them when to jump. And so they did.

Eventually facebook will die out. How do I know for sure?

Well, I don't.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,272,697 times
For people that really want to chase a quick buck, go for it. I am not a short term investor so its not a play for me.

Internet related companies typically have a pretty short shelf life due to its inability to produce anything tangible and kepp mindshare, plus there is always going to be fierce competition right around the corner. All it takes is one bad move with privacy laws or lawsuits regarding that and its toast.
Plus, with web services, users are only as loyal as their ability to get what they want, the easiest and user friendly way for them. If another service comes out (which it will) it can absolutely sink the facebook buzz.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 AM

14,461 posts, read 20,640,988 times
Those who might be offered some through their broker, and want some.....well, you will get your chance in the next 2-3 weeks. Monday they are filing their required paperwork.

The company itself, recently said their stock was worth about $30.00.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:27 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,324,471 times
Those of you buying into FaceBook, please make sure and sell your shares in PM, MO, KFT, JNJ, ABT, KMB and etc. before doing so. That will give you more money to buy FB shares, you see. And hopefully, with massive sales in the mentioned companies, the prices will drop and I can pick up some more shares at cheaper prices.

I am sure that FB will be the next homerun; really. Get into it! Get as much money as you can into FB shares!! Do it!!! But, sell the dividend-payers first. Very important. Sell, and then buy FB.

Teak thanks you ahead of time.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM

14,461 posts, read 20,640,988 times
Facebook next week at $28-$35 and the last online sales was over $43.00.
So, if you bought it that way, you will open with a loser.
But, it may double first day.

It will be good for options when they begin trading.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,196,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifeman View Post
My space was generally marketed for the teenager crowd. I think that was their downfall. I'm a believer in Facebook. Even the older generation are being drawn in to see the latest pics and updates of the Grand Kids!
901 million users can't be wrong!.........can they?

It seems like the marketplace always has room for two titans:
Apple vs. MicroSoft
Lowes vs. Home Depot
Target vs. Wall Mart
Google vs. Facebook?

As part of what Dub Dub was saying, Facebook must always manage to stay at the top of its game to stay in play. It will never have a built in customer base, like Coca Cola.

The space is extremely fickle, and it something else comes along comparitable or better, Facebook could be completely destroyed within a couple years, such as what happened to Myspace.

I dont trust most tech companies for this reason unless they absolutely have a strangle hold on their space, like Microsoft.

Facebook is number 1 right now, but has no such strangle hold. Jumping ship is as easy as creating an account at a competing companies website.

Old 05-03-2012, 06:26 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,419,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Facebook next week at $28-$35 and the last online sales was over $43.00.
So, if you bought it that way, you will open with a loser.
But, it may double first day.

It will be good for options when they begin trading.
What day will it be available for trading? I plan on picking up as many shares as I can when it starts. I'm with Fidelity if that matters.

Old 05-04-2012, 02:15 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singlelady10 View Post
What day will it be available for trading? I plan on picking up as many shares as I can when it starts. I'm with Fidelity if that matters.
May 18 is the rumored date for public trading. Usually, it's better to wait until the end of the day to purchase shares because people will be taking profits throughout the day. We saw this with LNKD and GOOG on their opening day.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:44 PM

491 posts, read 1,651,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
Not.

I don't see value. Where are the revenue streams?

It either has to be constantly re inventing itself in the hopes of always being novel and therefore worthy of all the traffic it receives...

Or it has to flood itself with ads.

And neither of those things are particularly good in the long run. The ads might be tolerable...but the reinventing itself thing will eventually die out...and when people stop logging on, it's value is gone.

Plus, I think the guys who owned and managed facebook were smart enough to jump ship at near peak. Even if they weren't, they were smart enough to get people around them to tell them when to jump. And so they did.

Eventually facebook will die out. How do I know for sure?

Well, I don't.
Yes, you have a point. It's a novelty right now and may last for quite some time just based on its membership. But eventually phase out when another novelty comes out. But for now, it is the 800lb gorilla. I don't know maybe it's just me, but, personally, I don't see it's usefulness, yes you can see pics of friends ect. and becomes addictive for a while but that gets old after that. Unlike google where one can use it as an everyday tool.
Anyone know why Zuck is selling on the day of trading 30,000,000 of his own shares if he believes in the company, is it to raise money and pay taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing