Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 10:21 AM

29,856 posts, read 24,978,977 times

Advertisements

So, these details are creeping up on investors radars... Less than desired employment numbers, lower Chinese GDP numbers (who knows how bad they ACTUALLY were...), no QE on the horizon (although an equity market plunge could change that in quick order, Euro zone trouble probably leading to dismal GDP growth both in Europe and China(targets have been revised down consistently).

All these things combined don't bode to well for equities. I sold nearly every position I had last week and will be watching the markets carefully. This is too much risk for my blood right now though. It is apparent that QE 1 & 2 were the major drivers in the markets. Without that, I cannot trust the markets to work in my favor. Corporate earnings will have a huge impact I feel regarding the next 3 months. At some point, corporate America will simply run out of people to lay off though. I'm also planning to spend more time enjoying the weather, and remove myself from caring about this mess
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 10:46 AM

MODERATOR: If you wouldn't mind, could you move this to the investment sub forum? Thanks.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:50 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,306,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
So, these details are creeping up on investors radars... Less than desired employment numbers, lower Chinese GDP numbers (who knows how bad they ACTUALLY were...), no QE on the horizon (although an equity market plunge could change that in quick order, Euro zone trouble probably leading to dismal GDP growth both in Europe and China(targets have been revised down consistently).

All these things combined don't bode to well for equities. I sold nearly every position I had last week and will be watching the markets carefully. This is too much risk for my blood right now though. It is apparent that QE 1 & 2 were the major drivers in the markets. Without that, I cannot trust the markets to work in my favor. Corporate earnings will have a huge impact I feel regarding the next 3 months. At some point, corporate America will simply run out of people to lay off though. I'm also planning to spend more time enjoying the weather, and remove myself from caring about this mess
one thing the last week has taught me is that the likes of bloomberg and cnbc are no different than MTV , they are info-tainment of the investment sector , every analysist they had on this past month has been ultra bullish and sure as crap that the rally would continue throughout this year

personally speaking however im not that worried by the correction we,ve had so far , bar the monthly jobs report , everyone knew that europe had not gone away so thier were no great surprises afoot

Old 04-10-2012, 04:06 PM

162 posts, read 431,531 times
@andywire
Personally, I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately today I froze up and didn't dump one of my stocks (VG) fast enough and ended up watching it take a nasty plunge today with no hope for it going back up. I know I shoulda sold when I was down by maybe 10-12 percent or less, but now I'm down by 20% and I'm not willing to take that kind of loss. I know it's probably a stupid thing to do, but maybe it will bounce just enough for me to dump the sucker soon and get out of the market for a while because it isn't looking good to me.
I saw another article today that says that US debt is more than all the Eurozone countries put together. Now that one can't possibly look good for the market. If I had more experience shorting stuff, I'd be doing that these days.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:15 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,306,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greendesert View Post
@andywire
Personally, I agree with your assessment. Unfortunately today I froze up and didn't dump one of my stocks (VG) fast enough and ended up watching it take a nasty plunge today with no hope for it going back up. I know I shoulda sold when I was down by maybe 10-12 percent or less, but now I'm down by 20% and I'm not willing to take that kind of loss. I know it's probably a stupid thing to do, but maybe it will bounce just enough for me to dump the sucker soon and get out of the market for a while because it isn't looking good to me.
I saw another article today that says that US debt is more than all the Eurozone countries put together. Now that one can't possibly look good for the market. If I had more experience shorting stuff, I'd be doing that these days.
QE3 will ensure that equities get the fuel they need , this being an election year only increases the chances of a decent year in the markets

Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM

24,413 posts, read 27,043,098 times
I'm not selling... the market will have corrections once in awhile, it's NORMAL. Maybe a 5-10% correction, I'm not sure if this is the start or not. Alcoa beat earnings, which was a big surprise. With that being said, I still have my AAPL call options and shares in stocks.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:44 PM

5,490 posts, read 6,340,062 times
Quote:
I'm not selling... the market will have corrections once in awhile, it's NORMAL.
Well said, and agreed. I'm holding tight and even started a new position today. I'll be looking for opportunities to add where I can.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:37 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,745,949 times
I love when people start panicking and the negative threads come out of the woodwork due to a couple down days...

Amazing how people don't understand that the markets go up and down.....

Old 04-10-2012, 10:25 PM

1,953 posts, read 4,968,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Without that, I cannot trust the markets to work in my favor. Corporate earnings will have a huge impact I feel regarding the next 3 months. At some point, corporate America will simply run out of people to lay off though. I'm also planning to spend more time enjoying the weather, and remove myself from caring about this mess
So if good corporate #s are good you will buy back in after stocks rise? I figured this would be a down week, but IMO its not worth it to start selling my positions since most are 'safe' bets.

It can get depressing reading articles from all the doom and gloom folks. I do it and I dont know why.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I love when people start panicking and the negative threads come out of the woodwork due to a couple down days...

Amazing how people don't understand that the markets go up and down.....
Yes they go up and down... They go up for a reason and go down for a reason. In this case, we had strong corporate earnings and QE to thank for the up. We might not have those things going forward, which would indicate a higher than normal chance for a down. I believe I am being rational in my decision to dump most of my positions, given that I collected dividends and made a nice healthy profit. There is just too much risk for my blood right now, and choose to take my chips off the table. I am thinking for the long term, and have been. QE was a big reason I put so much in equities earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing