Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:36 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,595,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
here on city data i see three kinds of people:

we have some very financially smart people who take a big interest in their financial lives and are successful.

we have a group of financially aware people who are just doom and gloomers and they never act with their knowledge and they end up just squeeking by in life.

then we have the largest group who run on just myth and bull-sh*t. they basically blame the world,the rich and everything and everyone around them for their lack of financial success . they never understand its their own lack of interest in learning thats crippling them.
for the third group I often sense there's an overabundance of interest in the wrong things: unhelpful things, excessive entertainment or vices, escapism through alcohol. the list goes on and on. IMO, in some cases a "boring" subject can be made fun with an attitude adjustment- or maybe I just have an inherent skill/gift in that regard. my brother doesn't have it though. he's very much focused on entertainment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 03:01 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
As I shared previously years ago I had great experience in economics education and teacher training. There are certain principles that can be taught and a floor given to be built on. There are certain core principles:

Medium of Exchange

Supply/Demand and the Elasticity of Supply/Demand. This is core principle that so much else originates from. A bubble like the housing bubble can be anticipated when you see the supply of housing reaching the point where it exceeds demand and has passed the level of demand based on reasonable financing guidelines.

Interest rates and Financing. How compounding can work for you or against you.

Wealth as a concept and the acquisition of and ways to achieve. Wealth building and net worth. Simple life concept. Is your net wealth increasing or decreasing? Is your debt/wealth or debt/income level improving or getting worse.

These are just a few of the basic concepts that can be taught and most pariticpants in this forum understand them well.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:04 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
See?
This is the subjective stuff I'm talking about.
These 'rules' that really are NOT one size fits all.

And no...it's not like teaching any other course. Because in math, the answer is 5.
In biology, it's the mitochondria. In physics, pv=nrt. In lit, the butler did it.

I took econ in high school - would that not be a good place to introduce various financial vehicles instead of just all the hokey pokey theory b.s. we learned for the AP test?
If you took AP Econ the purpose of the course was to prepare you to get a 4/5 on the exam and the resulting college credit if your college accepts AP courses.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:25 PM

106,789 posts, read 109,020,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
for the third group I often sense there's an overabundance of interest in the wrong things: unhelpful things, excessive entertainment or vices, escapism through alcohol. the list goes on and on. IMO, in some cases a "boring" subject can be made fun with an attitude adjustment- or maybe I just have an inherent skill/gift in that regard. my brother doesn't have it though. he's very much focused on entertainment
i agree , i see it with the people at work, friends , our kids friends.

they can cite sports statistics spanning decades but they havent a clue about what to even do with their 401k money.

they all copy off each other like anyone of them has a clue.

then we have the political group that spends lunch time discussing politics , like any of that will ever improve their lives.

its almost as if they would rather spend time with anything other then their own financial well being.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:33 AM

30,904 posts, read 36,995,531 times
Quote:
I am not sure I understand why teachers are supposed to be responsible for financial literacy.
That's what parents are for.
But most adults are financially illiterate. You can't teach your kids what you don't know.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Americans aren't exactly the sharpest when it comes to financial basics

And yet, some people think that doing away with SS and allowing people to invest their money themselves for their retirement is going to work.
Good point. The problem is our politicians aren't any better at managing SS than the general public is at investing. Our economic ship sure does seem to be sinking.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Yes, but at which point are you teaching facts and then at which points do the whole strategy and advice thing become more opinion and personal style?

Finance is not black and white. It can be very subjective.

For example, take mortgages and down payments. 100s of different opinions on 'the right thing to do.' The same with leasing/buying a car.
The same with portfolio management.
The same with credit card vs debit card use.

It's endless. You can say, "This financial product is X," but who gets to decide the context within which it will be discussed?

I do not want my kid learning financial hokey pokey at the hands of some idiot who probably can't balance their checkbook and took an 80/20.
But people should at least know the basics. Ask a lot of adults, even college educated folks about what a mutual fund is, vs. a stock, a bond, etc. Most couldn't give you a working definition. People don't know what retirement accounts are. They don't know basic information about taxes, etc. People also don't understand the power of compound interest. All of these concepts could be taught in school.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimace8 View Post
I think that's a good point. Entertainment is another aspect of human enslavement. It's the modern version of the Roman "bread and circuses". It keeps people distracted with things of no import so that they don't pay attention to what's really going on in finance and many other important aspects of life.

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 09-23-2012 at 11:55 AM..

Old 09-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:
See?
This is the subjective stuff I'm talking about.
These 'rules' that really are NOT one size fits all.

And no...it's not like teaching any other course. Because in math, the answer is 5.
In biology, it's the mitochondria. In physics, pv=nrt. In lit, the butler did it.

I took econ in high school - would that not be a good place to introduce various financial vehicles instead of just all the hokey pokey theory b.s. we learned for the AP test?
It's true, nothing is black and white in finance. But you can certainly teach people the odds.

Odds are, if you're getting a mortgage based on your overtime pay, you're going to run into trouble.

I also have to say I do think there needs to be stricter regulation of the banks. Many of those mortgages issues should never in a million years been legal. I don't have much faith that it will really happen (since the banks own the political system), but it definitely should.

Old 09-23-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I don't know...I kind of like the fact that most Americans are financially stupid. How else would I get cash back from my credit card if not for the fact that "stupid" Americans pay interest on unpaid balances? How else would I get interest from my bank account (albeit currently negligible) if not for people paying interest on money borrowed? How else would I make money on the stock market by investing when the sheeple have fled and selling when the sheeple are furiously day-trading? How else would I make money on government bonds if not for the stupid voters that continually elect spendthrifts?

So here's to the stupid Americans...making the smart richer!
That's sort of true in a short term kind of way. But Americans' collective financial stupidity is a big reason why our economy is in the toilet now...and that has affected us all and will continue to do so for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing