Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,671,012 times

Advertisements

Can anyone offer suggestions on allocating my current 401k. Current balance is about $7200.00 and 100% contributed to Goldman Sachs Small Cap Value Fund Institutional Symbol: GSSIX (1.06% + 0.98% management fee). Yes, I already know the fees are high, so I am looking to change this. I also, have $26k sitting in my Etrade IRA account to allocate as well.

My Income: 97K per year
Tax Filing Status: (Married Filing Jointly)
Tax Rate: 25% Bracket
State of Residence: Texas
My age 34
Desired retirement in 26 years
contributing 6% now and company half of that 6% (thinking off contributing more)

So far, I am considering the following AA for the 401k account:

Contribute 70% = American Beacon S&P 500 Index Fund Institutional Class Symbol: AASPX (0.16% + 0.045% management fee) or Fidelity Advisor® Freedom 2040 Fund® - Institutional Class Symbol: FIFFX (0.77% expense ratio + 0% management fee )

Contribute 30% = BlackRock High Yield Bond Portfolio Institutional Shares Symbol: BHYIX (0.67% + 0.44% management fee) or Dreyfus Bond Market Index Fund Basic Class Symbol: DBIRX (0.15% + 0.15% management fee)

I would like to go with the AASPX and BHYIX as my decision.

I did a search for all funds with Expense Ratio: <=.50% and listed below. I can add more if needed for <=1%

Fidelity Advisor® Freedom 2040 Fund® - Institutional Class Symbol: FIFFX (0.77% expense ratio), I added this just in case
American Beacon S&P 500 Index Fund Institutional Class Symbol: AASPX (0.16% + 0.045% management fee)
American Beacon International Equity Index Fund Class Institutional Symbol: AIIIX (0.24% + 0.01% management fee)
Dreyfus Bond Market Index Fund Basic Class Symbol: DBIRX (0.15% + 0.15% management fee)
Dreyfus Inflation Adjusted Securities Fund Institutional Shares Symbol: DIASX (0.4% + 0.3% management fee)
Fidelity Advisor® Freedom Income Fund® - Institutional Class Symbol: FIAFX (0.47% + 0% management fee)
Fidelity® Money Market Trust Retirement Money Market Portfolio Symbol: FRTXX (0.42% + 0.42% management fee)
Lord Abbett Short Duration Income Fund Class I Symbol: LLDYX (0.39% + 0.26% management)
Putnam Stable Value Fund 50 (0.5%)

I really appreciate any comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 AM

106,623 posts, read 108,773,903 times
that really is a hodge podge of stuff, as much as i dislike target date funds i would say run with it until you have alot more money then you will have options to do other things .

anytime you own anything else other than the target fund your really un-doing everything your target fund is trying to do by matching allocation to time frame.

a 401k a bad place to invest in equities because you lose favored capital gain status, the ability to write off loses and the ability to pass to heirs with a step up in basis and no manadory wihdrawals for them like a roth has..

unless you had such a nice choice of funds that you could really put a nice portfolio together that blends well i would say you have to look at alternative structurs.

you should only hold investments that get taxed at regular income rates regardless in tax deferred plans.

things like bonds and reits.

by holding the equities in a taxable account and the income bearing stuff in your deferred account you can see as much as a 20% greater bottom line.

other wise dont contribute as much to the 401k and divert some money outside the 401k to your equities.

you lose to much advantage with equities in tax deferred accounts.

Last edited by mathjak107; 11-13-2012 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing