Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 10:14 AM

107,160 posts, read 109,518,518 times

Advertisements

well you can try but most of us who have tried this time and time again know how it usually ends up for us. had we just rebalanced or bought more we typically end up further ahead then trying to outsmart things.

MORE OFTON THEN NOT THINGS WE ALL THINK ARE A GIVEN TO HAPPEN DONT AND THE MARKETS WILL TAKE OFF WITH OUT YOU LEAVING YOU BEHIND .

then you will become one of the doom and gloomers still waiting for that day things fall so you can get back in and say see i was right.

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-01-2012 at 10:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 10:44 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,150,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
well you can try but most of us who have tried this time and time again know how it usually ends up for us. had we just rebalanced or bought more we typically end up further ahead then trying to outsmart things.

MORE OFTON THEN NOT THINGS WE ALL THINK ARE A GIVEN TO HAPPEN DONT AND THE MARKETS WILL TAKE OFF WITH OUT YOU LEAVING YOU BEHIND .

then you will become one of the doom and gloomers still waiting for that day things fall so you can get back in and say see i was right.
I know what you are saying, almost every time I try to beat the street it never works out. I sell and then it goes break out. LOL I have taken the idea you give. I keep my investments well deversified stocks and wait and just buy in the dips. This seems to be working for me as of yesterday I am up about a grand since starting my investing just under a year ago. I am a bit weighted into oil and would be up much more but that sector is down a bit. So I am waiting to invest more money as CDs are paying nothing and if a dip does come I will be ready. Stocks that are already down some if the cliff does happen I will pounce of the buys. I don't like things like Facebook and if I had to would bet short not long.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:51 AM

30,914 posts, read 37,083,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
You're confusing the chicken for the egg. When Clinton took office in 1993, the economy was weak. He inherited a recession from Bush Sr. Ummm.....that's why Clinton won, right? "It's the economy, stupid." Clinton started with a weak economy, then raised taxes which wiped out the deficit and gave us the bull market of the 1990s. Imagine that.
It's not the same situation today. More and more are drawing Social Security & Medicare. Those 2 programs alone will consume the whole Federal budget if they are not reformed. We have a lot of old people to support and not as many young people coming up behind them to support them. That will be a major drag on economic growth. Simply jacking up taxes is not going to fix it. Even the liberal economists admit this.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:57 AM

30,914 posts, read 37,083,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I am not smart enough to figure out where to put it so I will just keep doing what I always do, keep contributing to a diversified portfolio of stocks, bonds,securities, 401k , Roth IRA, and just a smidgen of gold and silver on the side and try to ride all the government stupidity out, assuming that ride ends sometime.
^^Best answer^^

Old 12-08-2012, 04:16 AM

107,160 posts, read 109,518,518 times
my opinion is nothing will take down those systems. as fast as they can fund a war those 2 systems that are so much a part of our base and culture are to big to fail.

they may change things a bit but if anything ever happened to the system the riots and unrest in this country would make the mid-east look like a day in the park.

muliply los angeles by 1 million.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:40 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,860,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macexcel View Post
Where to put my money if Fiscal Cliff happens?
I am wondering if I have a few Mutual Funds and a 401k, if I should place some of that money in to bonds vs stock market, and lower my risk. Just looking at worst case, where would be the best place for my money.
Buy gold and hide it where no one else will find it.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,676 times
Default Stock Portfolio - Move to Cash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macexcel View Post
Where to put my money if Fiscal Cliff happens?
I am wondering if I have a few Mutual Funds and a 401k, if I should place some of that money in to bonds vs stock market, and lower my risk. Just looking at worst case, where would be the best place for my money.
I'm 48 and my IRA is 42% bonds and the remainder moderate mutual funds. I'm considering moving to cash, but I see the pros and cons. My advisor wants me to focus on long term, but?

Any comments? My 401k is small and I don't want to lose it all. Lost some in 2008 and it's been in cash until September when I rolled over to Edward Jones. I'm very anxious and don't know what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing