Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 11:26 AM

19,088 posts, read 27,667,472 times

Advertisements

I work for a reasonably sized corporation.
Abour 3 years ago, with big pomp, we were given "shares" of this company. Everyone received hosh posh paperwork with 10 000 shares free. Corporate opened company own manufacturing, and now we all are being pressed to deliver products, manufactured by that division, for reasons obvious. Quite poor quality though and other things, but it's irrelevant.
Reason I am questioning this is - they are not publicly traded. Personally, I think, it's phony meaningless "carrot" they put in front of us donkeys.
But maybe I am missing something? As I do not see, how one can utilize them when, say, quitting or retiring. What use are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 12:14 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
I think, it's phony meaningless "carrot" they put in front of us donkeys.
One in a hundred options might be redeemable at some point.
When? How much? More than the value of the unpaid time put in?

Quote:
But maybe I am missing something?
Nope. At lower levels of employment they give people titles.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:20 PM

Thought so. It's a carrot on a stick.
Not surprised. What surprises me is how many out of 270 employes rave about "shared ownership". Travesty.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:27 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,217,696 times
How is the company incorporated? Is it an LLC, LP, S-corp?

Privately traded shares can be very real. What does the paperwork say? I hold a few shares in a private company right now and they pay a quarterly cash dividend, and if the company ever were to go public, I would be able to sell them for a decent amount. I would be surprised if the paperwork you were given when receiving the shares didn't outline the vesting schedule for ownership. More often than not you can absolutely trade the shares in for cash in privately held stocks, but typically there are conditions tied to them mandating so many years of employment, or so much profit gain before the shares fully vest. It is absolutely a carrot on a stick. In most cases they are given out to incentivize people to stay with the company and work hard. If they do, they can trade the shares in for a decent paycheck in the future.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:31 PM

No, we have no dividends. Not since we had them. I'll have to undust the paperwork, but it's vested from day one, that I do remember. One had to work for company for a year to get his/her package.
They always talk about promoting their devices, so that "our profit grows" as we are "sharing in the company" but in those years I have not seen a penny out of it.
Not sure how I can sell them if it's just a piece of paper.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
No, we have no dividends. Not since we had them. I'll have to undust the paperwork, but it's vested from day one, that I do remember. One had to work for company for a year to get his/her package.
They always talk about promoting their devices, so that "our profit grows" as we are "sharing in the company" but in those years I have not seen a penny out of it.
Not sure how I can sell them if it's just a piece of paper.
Again - all stock is 'just a piece of paper'. No one ever makes money on stock options until they either sell or leave the company.

How have you gone three years and not asked your HR people to explain the details of this?

Old 01-19-2013, 02:42 PM

We don't have HR "people". We have one gal that is called HR. It's a "strange" company for lack of better word.
That's what I am trying to figure out. How can one sell something, if it's no publicly traded stock.
THEY will not pay me for it, that I know 100%. I tried "politely" inquire, but had 30 minutes of round words that never clarified anything. Pressing into this matter is not welcomed.
Not sure, if you are familiar with corporate bs. That's when they talk for an hour, and thereafter, you sit and wonder - what exactly was said?

Old 01-19-2013, 05:44 PM

34,114 posts, read 83,086,457 times
Quote:
They always talk about promoting their devices, so that "our profit grows"
as we are "sharing in the company" but in those years I have not seen a penny out of it.

$$$ Show Me the MONEY!!! $$$ - YouTube

Old 01-20-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
We don't have HR "people". We have one gal that is called HR. It's a "strange" company for lack of better word.
That's what I am trying to figure out. How can one sell something, if it's no publicly traded stock.
THEY will not pay me for it, that I know 100%. I tried "politely" inquire, but had 30 minutes of round words that never clarified anything. Pressing into this matter is not welcomed.
Not sure, if you are familiar with corporate bs. That's when they talk for an hour, and thereafter, you sit and wonder - what exactly was said?
Privately held stocks are a very, very common thing.

How is your company legally incorporated (s-corp, LP, LLC, etc.) If you tell me that, I could very easily explain how ownership shares in your company works.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:14 PM

Incorporated in 1992, the Company now represents several industry leading manufacturers in the states of California, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Alaska, and Idaho. This exponential growth has been very carefully planned and charted by an experienced management team.

I'll need to find out exactly how. Can you give me a ballpark?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing