Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 02:32 AM

106,796 posts, read 109,039,935 times

Advertisements

i hav found the key to success is diversification and stick to the plan.

anytime you bet the ranch on one particular asset class that needs one particular economic scenerio to play out your chances of failing go up .

thinking you will time things is a big mistake. you always should have something going down on those big up days .

every asset eventually has its day in the sun and shines so you need to buy time as much as you need to buy assets.

their are many portfolio stratagies out there and all will work but you need to stick to the plan to have any of them play out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 02:59 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,895,840 times
My strategy is to look at everything.....mostly stocks and commodities.

-Look at the long term macro picture (is it a 10 or 15 year bull market?). Then go from there in individual stocks or commodities.

For example, gold has crushed the S&P 500 over the last 10-13 years. S&P flat, gold up...500% or something from its bottom at $270 an ounce.

-With individual stocks, I think you really have to know the industry. Warren Buffett has a phrase about your "circle of competence". Knowing the perimeter of that circle and staying inside is one of the keys to successful investing. How many people do that? Very few.

You *really have to know it*. If a stock has been hammered....like in the 08 crash, you can buy almost any well run company and get good returns (i.e. like GE). But in most market conditions, you should have a narrow focus.

-Expansion sounds good, but its not a breakthrough or panacea for a company. I.e. Tesco recently failed in the US.

There's "good expansion", when a company knows whats its doing and has a good driver....i.e. Starbucks in the beginning or McDonalds (even during their middle expansion). Then there's boredom expansion, arrogance.....you don't know what you're doing. I.e. the Tesco grocery, or something that totally flops.

I wouldn't mess with penny stocks unless you've made some real money in the markets ($10-20,000 at least) or have 2-3 years of experience.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:08 AM

look at what long term treasuries did the last 13 years too. they also soared.

there is a whole world of stuff out there and anyone who thinks they are going to time the moves from asset class to asset class as things change is fooling themselves.

you need to own the things that are out of favor all the time. the magic comes from rebalancing and buying more of that loser so when its day comes you own way more of it .

as i point out ofton:

even if you bought gold at the absolute wrong price of 800 bucks back the 1980's ,if you rebalanced that gold with the rest of your portfolio yearly then today your return on the gold actually edged out the return of the s&p 500.

that is the power of having a strategy and a plan and sticking to it.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:03 AM

198 posts, read 484,888 times
You should learn about asset allocation and buy low cost index mutual funds. If you want to play around with individual stocks, set aside a maximum of 10% of your portfolio as "play money".

Check out the bogleheads message board. A lot of smart and wealthy people frequent that site.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:06 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
My "strategy" is to buy a wide variety of products (including bonds, mutual funds, etc) over a long period of time, investing regularly (monthly deposits), and looking at the long term.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:07 AM

you can't help but wonder how many individual stock buyers hold issues like apple where they are great companies yet plunged 40-45% and what it did to their overall returns on the few other holdings they have.

most individual stock buyers do not own nearly enough issues so a major hit on anyone of them kills all the gains in the rest.

just for the record i bought apple the other day at 390.30 . but that is a speculation for me , my investments are much more diversified..

Old 04-20-2013, 05:47 AM

995 posts, read 3,931,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespiritbutterfly View Post
Is looking at transaction histories on the stock market a good strategy?
It's as good as flipping a coin to decide whether to buy an individual stock or not.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:11 PM

30,904 posts, read 36,998,853 times
The best investment strategy is the one you'll actually stick with for the long term (think decades, not months or years). For most people, that means regularly investing in a well managed balanced fund that invests in a mix of stocks and bonds. People tend to stick with these funds for the long term because they don't lose as much in bad markets. They don't go up as much in good markets, but over long periods of time, the better balanced funds match or beat the large company S&P 500 stock index with less volatility. Pick one of these funds and try to stick with it for a few decades (or even longer):

Oakmark Equity & Income
Dodge and Cox Balanced
T. Rowe Price Capital Appreication
Vanguard Wellington
Mairs and Power Balanced

If you can get one of these funds in your 401K without paying the sales charge/load, then they are also good:

American Funds Income Fund of America (A, R4, R5, or R6 share classes only)
American Funds American Balanced Fund (A, R4, R5, or R6 share classes only)
American Funds Capital Income Builder (A, R4, R5 or R6 share classes only)
Invesco Equity and Income (A or Y share classes only)

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 04-20-2013 at 03:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing