Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,672,095 times

Advertisements

max your 401k to $17.5k limit, max your roth ira to $5.5k limit. save emergency fund. save for cash car. save for downpayment on house. pay off all loans. save for vacation. save for house repairs.

after you do with all that above and you still have some money to invest, then you can buy stocks if you want to.

But make sure the house is in order first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 12:55 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Actually, it's even worse than that. Follow his name to his home page and you end up at an investing site. Seems to be prospecting for clients.....
Well you have to give him credit for trying. I'm a firm believer in ABS.

I don't think his post is gonna' instill confidence with prospects.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:43 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,830 times
Quote:
Actually, it's even worse than that. Follow his name to his home page and you end up at an investing site. Seems to be prospecting for clients.....
...worse? What's wrong with running an investment firm?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:53 PM

25,580 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celcius View Post
...worse? What's wrong with running an investment firm?
Nuthin' I just didn't think prospecting for clients was appropriate for this forum. Maybe it is, I dunno.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:00 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Nuthin' I just didn't think prospecting for clients was appropriate for this forum. Maybe it is, I dunno.
The OP hasn't solicited any services, so his thread is still appropriate for this forum... I think you added me to your ignore list, but it's okay, insecurity issues... I understand lol.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:04 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Twining View Post
Hi,
Please let me know about investment philosophy.
These are all examples of investment philosophies:

Value Investing
Technical Analysis Investing
Fundamental Investing
Growth Investing
...ETC

Old 04-24-2013, 02:42 PM

795 posts, read 1,391,830 times
Quote:
It's not, but he didn't solicit the forum or anyone. He just posted a generic question.

I had no idea myself until you brought it up actually. So I doubt most of the forum would have noticed otherwise.

Old 04-24-2013, 02:45 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Buy low. Sell high.
Completely off the mark. What you should do instead is sell high and buy low.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM

143 posts, read 378,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Twining View Post
Hi,
Please let me know about investment philosophy.
Benjamin Graham

Old 07-25-2013, 03:40 AM

106,705 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i thought i would add a new philodophy i am realizing is very true.

this came to me from one of the few very successful traders i know of.

we all know the saying buy low and sell high. great idea but rarely can anyone really do it consistantly or even well. in fact that theory is single handedly responsible for more lost money than anything else in my opinion. traders usually follow the wrong advice.

there is another saying " objects in motion stay in motion , until they hit something .

falling prices tend to feed on themselves and go lower until they don't. know one knows what low is because we all thought low in 2008-2009 was when the market first fell 1000 points.

well that momentum turned into 5000 and 6000 points. people lost their shirt trying to buy low.

a better saying is buy high and sell higher. when that trend is already moving up that upward momentum may be the better time to buy . buy high and sell higher may be a whole lot more profitable but you never hear that.

in a world of probability odds are you will do better buying high and selling higher as part of that trend already in motion . more money is lost trying to buy low when folks think things have fallen enough only to find that the momentum takes hold of them and pulls them down way way lower. many bail out with stop losses or lose money in panic.

buy low sell high is in direct contrast to "don't fight the trend"

why don't we hear buy high and sell higher?? real secreats are just that, secreats .

when it come to financial advice the people who know don't tell , and the people who usually tell don't know.

anyone who knows a way of improving their odds has no reason to tell anyone else their little secreats . what benefit is it to them??

think about it.

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-25-2013 at 03:52 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing