Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 11:28 PM

5,393 posts, read 5,227,603 times

Advertisements

So, with the exception of one local business stock, I am only trading ETF's. First of all, they have no commission fee, and secondly, they cover large markets instead of individual stocks. Sure stocks are likely to make more money than ETF's, but I don't want to spend the time and probably don't know how to research them correctly. Also, their more risky.

That being said, I'm waiting for the market to crash. Because I only have ETF's, I am going by the "buy at the bottom and sell as they go on up" strategy instead of the "buy as they are going up and sell at the top strategy". I figure that it is easier to find when the market hits bottom vs when it's at its peak.

Is this a good investment strategy for a 19 year old that doesn't want to spend too much time looking at stocks and researching them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:10 AM

107,500 posts, read 109,961,286 times
sometimes waiting for that market crash is like waiting so long for your ship to come in that the pier collapses.

you can give up so much in gains by waiting that even after the crash you are still behind where you would have been had you not waited.

then there is the issue after you buy we could go lower and stay lower .

even if it goes up after at what point do you bail and that what do you do if we don't crash again and you are on the sidelines.

markets are generally higher highs and higher lows

great plan you have but rarely works.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:22 AM

20,184 posts, read 23,938,777 times
I sold all my mutual funds and etfs recently and going 100% stocks... we will see how risky it is...

Old 05-15-2013, 09:58 AM

5,002 posts, read 12,398,400 times
"buy low sell high" is such an over-simplification of what you should do I wish folks would STOP using it already. The best approach is to buy and sell according to the portfolio mix you need.

At 19 you should be mostly equities, if not 100%. If you want to go ETFs that is your choice. Mutual funds are another choice. I do agree that if you are not a professional trader and/or you do not have the time to track the stocks as if you were the CEO of the company you trade in, then you should NOT do it.

For you, I'd pick a good S&P500 ETF and let it go till after college.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:35 PM

5,393 posts, read 5,227,603 times
Really, more than waiting for the market to crash, I am investing foreign until I see a dip in the US markets.

Also, is there any reason why I should invest in a mutual fund instead of ETF's? The only difference I see is mutual funds have fees attached.

Next question, should I do large cap, mid cap, small cap, dividend, or growth or a mixture of these?

Old 05-16-2013, 08:29 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,782,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

Is this a good investment strategy for a 19 year old that doesn't want to spend too much time looking at stocks and researching them?
Its a lousy strategy for a prospective long term investor.

Your crystal ball isn't clear enough to know when these peaks and dips will occur. For all we know we could be in a long term bull market.

When you build a time machine and know exactly when to get in and out, only then it will be a good strategy.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:03 PM

16 posts, read 23,680 times
Quote:
So, with the exception of one local business stock, I am only trading ETF's. First of all, they have no commission fee, and secondly, they cover large markets instead of individual stocks. Sure stocks are likely to make more money than ETF's, but I don't want to spend the time and probably don't know how to research them correctly. Also, their more risky.

That being said, I'm waiting for the market to crash. Because I only have ETF's, I am going by the "buy at the bottom and sell as they go on up" strategy instead of the "buy as they are going up and sell at the top strategy". I figure that it is easier to find when the market hits bottom vs when it's at its peak.

If you are not doing any research how do you know when the market is going to crash? How do you know when you are buying at the bottom?

You are 19 years old and I doubt you have enough experience to understand the dynamics of the market and investment strategies.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:16 PM

24,439 posts, read 27,199,281 times
Quote:
Really, more than waiting for the market to crash, I am investing foreign until I see a dip in the US markets.

Also, is there any reason why I should invest in a mutual fund instead of ETF's? The only difference I see is mutual funds have fees attached.

Next question, should I do large cap, mid cap, small cap, dividend, or growth or a mixture of these?
You should be aware that mutual funds and ETFs will also crash with the market. I think people often overlook this fact. I also do not think it is a good strategy to wait for the next crash because you should think long term and not try to GUESS tops and bottoms. It will end up hurting you long term. If there are good buys, do it now and don't wait. You can save money in your bank account and use it when a crash happens, but who knows, it might be 5, 10 or 15 years from now. The market will always have corrections, but market crashes happen for a reason, so ask yourself why would the market crash soon. I don't see any reason why we would have a crash like 2008/2009 in the near future. A 10 to 15% correction, sure, but not a market crash.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:09 AM

15,953 posts, read 12,383,555 times
You should bear in mind that leveraged ETFs decay and make horrible long term investments. In fact you could have shorted almost all leveraged ETFs the day they came out and it would have been a no-lose situation since many are now trading 95-99% below the levels they started out at due to 'decay' ... Even some non leveraged ETFs decay, for example, any 'short' ETF funds that bet against the market should be used for short term investing only. Also any ETFs that track commodities using futures contracts rather than the underlying asset, which is almost all of them except precious metals ones.

Here's what the typical chart of many ETFs that track commodities look like, or any leveraged or short ETFs...

http://bigcharts.marketwatch.com/qui...w=True&time=13

You need to make sure the ETF you buy is tracking whatever asset by using the physical asset, and not options or futures contracts. Or use them for short term only. The example I used, UNG, could be shorted right now, with fair certainty that it will continue to decay... but these ETFs are often hard to short on purpose for this reason.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:18 AM

879 posts, read 1,968,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P
Well, both mutual funds AND ETFs have management fees. The main difference between them is the way they are traded. ETFs give you much more flexibility. And many mutual funds are actively-managed, while most (but not all) ETFs are passively-managed (like index funds).

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
You should bear in mind that leveraged ETFs decay and make horrible long term investments. In fact you could have shorted almost all leveraged ETFs the day they came out and it would have been a no-lose situation since many are now trading 95-99% below the levels they started out at due to 'decay' ...
Yep, however, shorting leveraged ETFs in one direction can cause big-time pain for long periods of time, particularly if the market is in a trending mood. Now, if you're shorting both the bull AND the bear versions of a particular leveraged ETF, there's much less risk as they negate one another on any particular day. Yet long term, the decay will take them down enough that, OVERALL, your "pair trade" will be a winner (even if one of them is still a loser for you, by itself). There are no "sure things" in the market, but this particular trade is as about as close to one as it gets, IMO.

Last edited by LongArm; 05-17-2013 at 11:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing