Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:46 AM

677 posts, read 1,158,706 times

Advertisements

Hi,

On the Apple, I am down close to 8%, should I dump it and move on.. Just wondering what you guys would do if you have this?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 10:49 AM

2,008 posts, read 4,733,941 times
I'm down as well, but i'm holding it until fall to see what they come up with. Hopefully they release something new along with the iphone to make the stock rise.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:51 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,835,335 times
to make you feel any better, My apple is down 24%, I am holding it for another 5 years.

Old 06-20-2013, 11:56 AM

8,089 posts, read 10,121,437 times
In the short term, IMHO, AAPL is a broken company and a more broken stock. It is WAY overowned institutionally, which is a source of selling on any strength.

In order to own the shares, you have to know that AAPL has a revolutionary new product about to be released. There are a lot of rumors, but no firm indication of such.

Otherwise, they have a bunch of (wonderful) commodity products which anyone in the world can produce and sell at lower cost. From here on out it is a production, pricing and margin game, and we have yet to see if appl can compete in that sort of world.

If you don't think it can happen take a look at Nokia. BOOM, to dust.

Old 06-20-2013, 12:31 PM

25,666 posts, read 17,416,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
In the short term, IMHO, AAPL is a broken company and a more broken stock. It is WAY overowned institutionally, which is a source of selling on any strength............
That statement caught my eye, and I believe there is some truth to it.

That's a problem with buying stocks whose best days - at least short term - may be behind them. Weakness in stock price is sometimes there for a reason and buying on weakness may be a mistake. I wonder how many have bought gold recently 'on weakness'.

But sometimes, as in the case of ASYS, the strength was so long ago, and the turn of events so newsworthy, that is just doesn't matter. ASYS is up 13% again today.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:50 PM

651 posts, read 865,844 times
I purchased hansen natural (now monster energy) under ticker MNST when Cramer and other people called it a "broken stock".

I purchased in the mid to high 20's back then (HANS) and my cost basis was split down to low $10's. I purchased the stock when the downtrend was broken and a new uptrend existed.

The stock now trades for $56.04/share. I am up over 400% in the stock from late 2008.

I purchased in the face of everyone hating it. I even purchased more in early 2013 in the high $40's.

I suggest this. if you believe in the product, and you think they will do well in the future, the moat is good (aaple has great moat), I would read the chart, add when the chart looks decent and hold on.

I have been successfull doing this approach.

just to let you know on the chart. the chart says downtrend. the downtrend has not been broken. up to you if you want to hold onto shares.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:57 PM

29,873 posts, read 25,012,751 times
I guess it depends on how much you have, what risk level you can comfortably stomach, and what you believe is in store for the future of this company. I do not own any Apple stock today. I have owned quite a bit in the past, and took my money off the table last year. Apple worries me today. They have given no indication of what their next big product will be. Instead, they keep modifying their current product line, which is not a good long term strategy. They made their profits by innovating and designing products that people wanted. Redecorating these products is a sign that they are running out of ideas. Hence, I am not planning to buy any shares unless something changes. The problem is, by the time that happens, you're often times too late to the party.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:55 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,902,557 times
I think it's way over owned.

-For the company to grow over the next 3-5 years like they did in the last 3-5, the revenue and earnings numbers are crazy.

-I saw a chart a few days ago showing after tax corporate profit as a percent of GDP. It's never been higher in this country.

Graph: Corporate Profits After Tax (CP)/Gross Domestic Product, 1 Decimal (GDP) - FRED - St. Louis Fed

It's 11%, the average for the last 50 years has been between 7 and 5%. Apple is an example of that enormous corporate profitability. You have to ask yourself, can that continue?

Some of the other numbers scare me. $400 billion market cap? The idea of Apple doubling or tripling from here sounds very far fetched. It's going to be worth $800 billion or $1.2 trillion? I remember when Cisco in 1999 was going to be the first trillion dollar company.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was flat for awhile. Maybe a post Jobs/Tim Cook era where the market tries to figure out what the company is doing now.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,337,941 times
I love the bearish sentiment by people... it tells me that it's closer to being at a good valuation than most people think. The crowd, when thinking in unison, is usually wrong. The chart suggest it will test one year lows however, as the market continues to correct. The longer term chart isn't very pretty either.. but I just can't see it freefalling with such a cheap valuation.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:25 PM

25,666 posts, read 17,416,961 times
They seem about right to me. PE; price to book; Q over Q gains - they all look about right for the stock to stay right where it is forever.

Dividend yield of 3% should hold it about steady.

I think Apple has transitioned into a new category of "a safe stock".

They ain't going back to 750, I don't think. Not unless they come out with some kind of whiz-bang we haven't thought of yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing