Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 08:55 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbnoob View Post
1. Is it advisable for a beginner to invest small sums of money into various ETFs over time? I want to start small, with say $500-1000 for now and slowly build it up over time. Ideally, I'd want to pick a percentage of my earnings (however small) from time to time and keep them aside in more stable places.
2. Where do I begin? I was considering sogotrade.com for stocks for their cheap trades. This does not apply any more to ETF trading anymore. Any advise on which online platform will be cheap/suitable for my needs?
3. I understand that Vanguard ETFs are general favorites right now. With the stock indices at their all time high, is it a good time to buy what could be expensive ETFs?
My suggestion is to learn and understand as much as you can about whatever markets you're investing in. That way you will have a lot more confidence in your investments.

It's a good idea to start small and build from there as you become more experienced. I'm currently using Scottrade for most of my trading. Their commissions are $7.

The stock indexes may be at all-time highs, but what matters is which way they are likely to go from here. Although there are no guarantees in investing, based on my research I think the probability is that the stock indexes will continue to go higher over the long term.

Check out IWM. This Russell 2000 ETF has gone up 197% since March 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 09:03 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
Stick with passive investing..

Do some research on asset allocations.. some popular ones are:

60/40 Stock/bond.
25% in Stocks, Bonds, Gold, and Cash.

Thoroughly research the risks of each and find one that fits your risk tolerance. For the "stocks" portion, hold a simple index ETF like SPY or VTI.

After a while, if you have a burning desire to speculate, say on individual stocks, then set aside some money that you can afford to lose to do that. Do not take it out of your nest egg.. transfer a portion of your paycheck each month to this "fund" and pretend that you lose all of that money overnight. If you can stomach that, then go ahead and speculate. And if your speculation turns out alright, then transfer the profits to your nest egg portfolio.

Speaking as an investment professional, I've had far better success with passive rather than active investing or buying individual stocks for my personal investments.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 AM

222 posts, read 418,166 times
I am going to start out passive investing, only 1-2 buying broad index (S&P, Russell) and 2-3 sector based (Large Cap, Health/Bio, Emerging markets consumption based) ETFs. This is going to be my plan for a while since my 401K fund is 40% split towards bonds.

I am leaning towards the Vanguard ETF products. Since they charge no commission on their ETFs, I am planning to open a brokerage account with them and start putting small amounts each month in their ETFs. This way I can avoid transaction commissions when I buy ETFs each month and also dollar cost average since I do not want to tap into my savings to start investing.

I now need to decide exactly which ETF and how to split my investment among them. Please advise if this is a reasonable plan moving forward. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing