Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 12:21 AM

392 posts, read 806,686 times

Advertisements

I tested Etrade but looks ugly & complicated to me and also there is no some fancy graph chart etc.

Is there any nice trading platform for futures that you can recommend ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:22 AM

27,552 posts, read 28,636,675 times
Look into TD Ameritrade, Tradestation and Ninja.

Old 05-12-2014, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 21,434 times
Your futures broker can supply you with trading platforms free. Etrade Pro is a good platform. Its been updated and is continually updating their futures section of the platform.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:31 AM

283 posts, read 426,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrhunski View Post
I tested Etrade but looks ugly & complicated to me and also there is no some fancy graph chart etc.

Is there any nice trading platform for futures that you can recommend ?
I tested Etrade myself it was way too complicated. Now I am with TD Ameritrade.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:36 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,990 times
The best "platform" is the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:57 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
The best "platform" is the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
You had better know exactly what you're doing, know the contract specs inside & out, be well capitalized and have a plan if you are going to start trading futures.

Old 05-13-2014, 05:08 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,764,996 times
I would suggest you look for a good broker first and THEN decide which platform you are going to use. TD Ameritrade has high commissions and from what I have been seeing on trading boards the data feed is delayed compared to others such as CQG.

You can download a free version of Ninja Trader NinjaTrader stock, futures and forex charting software and online trading platform. and use its internal Market replay data to get a feel for how the system works. Most futures brokers give clients the option of using Ninja trader this is important because if you change brokers you will not have to learn a new trading system.

Some will argue that X-trader is a better futures platform due to its depth of market screen however there are inexpensive add on programs to Ninja that are superior DOM's and include tape reading tools. This add on costs less than one month of X trader.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:49 AM

You will find a considerable market for futures through claims trading in major "Wall Street" bankruptcy cases. A commodity futures contract (or forward contract) is an exempt security under the "safe harbor" provisions of 11 U.S.C. § 546(e). The usual counterparties are hedge funds and like financial entities that make a market in trading "distressed" debt securities acquired in bankruptcy "fire sales". The Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) have taken the position that the safe harbor provisions are to be broadly construed in bankruptcy to protect trading in financial derivative contracts from collateral attack by trustees and creditor liquidation trusts in state and federal court cases. There has been some slackening in the aftermath of the decision regarding alleged insider trading in the case of In re Washington, Inc., 461 B.R. 200 (Bankr.D.Del. 2011); however other courts have come up with prophylactic orders to "fire wall" these transactions. See, e.g., In re Residential Capital, LLC, WL 1618327 (S.D.N.Y. Apr. 12, 2013).

Old 05-13-2014, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 21,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
You will find a considerable market for futures through claims trading in major "Wall Street" bankruptcy cases. A commodity futures contract (or forward contract) is an exempt security under the "safe harbor" provisions of 11 U.S.C. § 546(e). The usual counterparties are hedge funds and like financial entities that make a market in trading "distressed" debt securities acquired in bankruptcy "fire sales". The Commodities Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) have taken the position that the safe harbor provisions are to be broadly construed in bankruptcy to protect trading in financial derivative contracts from collateral attack by trustees and creditor liquidation trusts in state and federal court cases. There has been some slackening in the aftermath of the decision regarding alleged insider trading in the case of In re Washington, Inc., 461 B.R. 200 (Bankr.D.Del. 2011); however other courts have come up with prophylactic orders to "fire wall" these transactions. See, e.g., In re Residential Capital, LLC, WL 1618327 (S.D.N.Y. Apr. 12, 2013).
Insider trading? Bankruptcy cases?

Futures trading is between parties to either hedge or speculate a commodity price.

It is impossible to be "insider trading" because its a global product.... not like a company

Bankruptcy cases? What are referring to? I don't think corn will go "bankrupt" anytime soon.

Old 05-13-2014, 08:38 AM

Yes, that is correct. The alleged insider status of the claims traders alleged in the WaMu bankruptcy case sent a cold shudder through the futures market even though the court subsequently modified its ruling on the standing issue of the WaMu equity committee to pursue such claims. You should know that financial derivatives form the major source of "Debtor in Possession" financing in the big bankruptcy reorganization cases (particularly those filed in the United States Bankruptcy Courts for the Southern District of New York and the District of Delaware); and that "claims trading" is an active (i.e. "activist") commodity futures market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing