Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times

Advertisements

Anyone playing this stock into earnings?

I currently own shares and call options. I'm not sure what I'm going to do before earnings though. I feel this stock will continue to ride up on momentum, so I'll maintain my position or possibly add to it today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 06:01 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,828,504 times
not sure how they gonna do, but i do start to see many teslas on the road driving around.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:25 AM

Me too, granted I live in the Bay Area though. However, I was shocked to see one in Alaska at a Costco parking lot. I'm not worried about car sales. I'm worried about the zero-emissions credits.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times
IV at 138% on the weeklies. Sure wouldn't mind selling some way oom to capture the IV if it goes much higher pre-earnings. Directional bet? Not for me.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:28 PM

651 posts, read 863,167 times
Too much Emotion going around. I wouldn't touch it. Just my opinion. Even if I am wrong, I don't see it as a good pick up here. Look at their cash flow.

I would rather buy something else.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icicles View Post
Too much Emotion going around. I wouldn't touch it. Just my opinion. Even if I am wrong, I don't see it as a good pick up here. Look at their cash flow.

I would rather buy something else.
There is definitely a lot of emotion going around with TSLA among both the bulls and bears. Luckily, there is still a lot of shorties, which is a reason I've been buying into earnings. I feel confident it will continue to climb pre-earnings. Shorts are getting scared and the bulls are going crazy for shares. Whenever a stock becomes too loved, I get nervous, which is why I will be cutting my position in TSLA significantly before they announce. People might be expecting the unthinkable such as a profit in Q2. I'm expecting a beat, but still a loss. I haven't decided on the amount I will keep during earnings. It's definitely playing with fire, but my view on TSLA long-term is strong, which is the reason I'm doing it. I'm halfway on being able to buy a Model S from TSLA stock lol. I'll be waiting for their Gen III model to come out though.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:41 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,804 times
This may be a dumb question, but why did the stock suddenly explode in April? It had been around $30 for quite a while before that. Have sales gone up 3-400% since then?

What would scare me is, there's no support underneath it. What about a straddle or selling puts, inevitably its going to go down. I think we're very close to the, "this time it's different argument" for the stock. It's different because of the technology, Elon Musks brilliance, etc. Very dangerous arguments in a bull market. We heard that in the the tech bubble of '99.

Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
This may be a dumb question, but why did the stock suddenly explode in April? It had been around $30 for quite a while before that. Have sales gone up 3-400% since then?

What would scare me is, there's no support underneath it. What about a straddle or selling puts, inevitably its going to go down. I think we're very close to the, "this time it's different argument" for the stock. It's different because of the technology, Elon Musks brilliance, etc. Very dangerous arguments in a bull market. We heard that in the the tech bubble of '99.
The stock really exploded after Q1 earnings. It was a classic example of a short squeeze. Prior to earnings they were trending up and shorts were piling on and then when earnings came out, the shorts had to cover. There is still a large short float, which will mean this stock is either going to go up BIG or go down BIG. I'm 99.99% sure it will not move a small amount (under 5%). I'm thinking it will go to 100 or less within a couple days if they disappoint and $180 or more within a couple days if they impress. TSLA could potentially go down to its 200 day average, which is around $58-60 if I remember correctly.

If there was a small/no short float, I wouldn't be investing so much in TSLA the past week or so. There is still some juice to squeeze out of them. There is nothing to stop its momentum going into earnings. However, once earnings come, it can easily reverse. I keep bouncing back and forth as to what I will do. It truly is a flip of the coin, so I need to think about how much of my profits I want to gamble with. I'm starting to think more conservatively, so maybe I will sell my call options and half of my position before the announcement. I am bullish, but if I want to protect myself a bit more, I can get some put options too. This is where greed can get you!

If you want some fundamental reasons... They sold more cars than they initially thought. They raised guidance. They paid back their loan to the government early. Demand has been so strong, they increased their prices. They are now taking pre-orders for the Model X. They will be releasing a smaller version of the Model S in 2016 that will be similar in size to 3 series and have more range than currently. The BMW i3 looks like a complete flop and so does GM's ELR. It has gotten a score of 99 on consumer reports. It's unlike any other car. There is no ignition, you have a 17" iPad like interface, I mean, just test drive one and you'll see. As long as investors see a big potential, the company doesn't have to be profitable, just look at AMZN.

Last edited by bmw335xi; 08-06-2013 at 12:17 AM..

Old 08-06-2013, 03:48 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,804 times
It seems like you could do something with put options on the stock (bear put spread?).

A sept 140/110 bear put spread would "only" cost you $9.49. Add some upside participation (165 call at $7.30)? Total cost, $16.79. If it collapses to 110, you've almost doubled your money. If it goes up to $165-175, you probably make a small amount.

Stocks like this definitely take on a life of their own. I remember in 99, I was trading tech stocks. I think YHOO was the worlds most valuable media company at one point. Like a $120 billion market cap? People forget about competition in bubbles.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
It seems like you could do something with put options on the stock (bear put spread?).

A sept 140/110 bear put spread would "only" cost you $9.49. Add some upside participation (165 call at $7.30)? Total cost, $16.79. If it collapses to 110, you've almost doubled your money. If it goes up to $165-175, you probably make a small amount.

Stocks like this definitely take on a life of their own. I remember in 99, I was trading tech stocks. I think YHOO was the worlds most valuable media company at one point. Like a $120 billion market cap? People forget about competition in bubbles.
I like your thinking! I will most likely do something very similar. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing