Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,714,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I hate to tell you this but it was jack bogle and not me that said no one yet has ever lost a penny in a treasury bond fund as long as they stayed in the fund long enough to match the funds duration.
One of the aforementioned "experts you like" in this scenario.

Quote:
Got an issue with it argue it out with jack bogle.
I'm talking to you, not Jack Bogle.

Quote:
You are trying to argue against one plus one equals two.
No, I'm not. I'm arguing against refusing to acknowledge that experts disagree about this.

Quote:
Maybe a simple example will help.
Yet again you've ignored what you're replying to, and insisted on simply pontificating yet again, without regard to what is being said to you. Here is an exercise for you: Outline the arguments of the experts you disagree with, with sufficient comprehensiveness and compelling presentation to prove that you actually understand their perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 04:21 AM

106,758 posts, read 108,973,015 times
I have no idea what you are even arguing.

Quality bond funds sustain little damage as long as you stay for the duration factor and bonds have cushioned every major market collapse.

What else are you arguing?

Old 08-27-2013, 04:24 AM
bUU

That's the problem. Never mind. The shame of this is that you've done it before and I suspect you'll do it again.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:30 AM

When you figure it all out let us know we will be glad to hear it.

There are only 2 facts i stated and both are true.

It is common sense that since bonds do not fall nearly as much as stock when they do they are cushioning stocks fall and controlling the volatility level of your portfolio.

You can almost set your watch by the fact in a major plunge treasury bonds have moved the other way...there is nothing to debate. Bonds control your volatility level plain and simple.

A mix of equities and cash will swing far more and be far more volatile in a downturn than the same mix of equities and bonds.

To maintain the same level of volatility you have to reduce your equity level and add more to cash .

If you are saying this is wrong logic then all i can say is you are betting against the house because there is nothing i said that requires an argument.

No where did i even say it will produce a positive return in a down turn.

All i said is if you want to maintain a certain level of swing you will have to go with less equities cutting your potential gains if you use cash instead of bonds.

I have no clue where your supposed experts come into this discussion. Quite frankly if they debate that logic i don't see them as much of an expert.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-27-2013 at 04:40 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 04:37 AM
bUU

Quote:
If you are saying this is wrong logic
Thank you for yet again confirming that you're not reading the messages you're replying to for meaning.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:44 AM

You have been commenting on my postings so it is not me who is not reading. Nothing i said can be argued as there is not anything in that logic that is a point of argument.

I am not saying own bonds because they will go up. I said no such thing.

All i said is for those who want to control volatility in their portfolio owning bonds even at these levels can produce better long term returns than going to equities and cash.

Just about every major plunge has had treasury bonds rise and soften the blow ,cash can not do that so it will cushion less. I will accept those odds as being pretty good protection.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:50 AM
bUU

Quote:
Nothing i said can be argued
Why don't we just stop here? I think your perspective is very well encapsulated by this comment you've made.

If you want to continue, then please do as I asked earlier: Outline the arguments of the experts you disagree with, with sufficient comprehensiveness and compelling presentation to prove that you actually understand their perspective.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:18 AM

I have no idea what experts you want me to dispute.

In fact short of the fidelity insight newsletter who brought up this issue of volatility with cash instead of holding bonds i do not even know anyone who disputed that fact.

Whether the debate ran its course ,That is up to whether the op has his question answered as to whether as a conservative investor he should still own bonds.

I have showed compelling reasons why he should. If there are things he does not understand than it will be further explained.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-27-2013 at 05:34 AM..

Old 08-27-2013, 06:52 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,932,953 times
Much as I hate to break into this discussion, it does not have to be a question of bonds or equities. What we did was to maintain our bonds weighting as part of the overall portfolio but to reduce the number of long maturities and increase the number of short maturities.

Old 08-27-2013, 07:06 AM
bUU

Precisely, and we've also started introducing some more diversification of fixed-income investment types (one example being floating-rate funds). I'm not convinced that any of them are necessarily better or worse - against, despite what some folks would like to have you believe, there is no definitive answer with regard to that - but I figure that more diversity is likely to serve the need better than less diversity, at least in that regard. (One floating-rate fund I've recently added has a 0.15 year duration.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing