Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 PM

651 posts, read 863,044 times

Advertisements

One thing I noticed is when you overlay the QE periods and the price of gold, gold actually declines during QE periods, when QE is not going on, gold races higher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,435 times
I sold off most of my position's today at the highs. I will buy back when the pull back comes as most will come to see the fed was saying the economy is weak, and the congress heads for a gov shut down. Stocks can not go up forever.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:37 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Its politics as usual. Remember senator Obama voted no on raising the debt ceiling when Bush was president. They also tried to tie a pull out in 18 months from Iraq to approvaing it. .Same ole;same ole on both sides.
Iraq/Afghanistan are both illegal wars. Too bad they didn't succeed.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:17 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
I saw this on CNBC this evening:

Quote:
Did the Fed lead people on? A lot of traders have lost money today, since many were flat to short the market. These traders are mad. The Fed did not communicate its intentions clearly enough, they contend.
I say boo hoo. Bernanke has been saying for months, probably even a year now, that the Fed will not begin tapering until unemployment hits 6.5% and inflation hits 2%. This has been repeated in numerous Fed meeting minutes. Just because CNBC pounded taper talk into the daily discourse for the last two months doesn't mean the shorts and daytraders deserve to shift blame away from their own foolish trades.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:59 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
How the hell would the Fed lead people on to think that? People are complete idiots if they believe that. No different from the investor that bets on a speculative stock that goes sour and then says Wall Street is all fixed and corrupted.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:27 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I sold off most of my position's today at the highs. I will buy back when the pull back comes as most will come to see the fed was saying the economy is weak, and the congress heads for a gov shut down. Stocks can not go up forever.
somehow i doubt that you had much left .. if i had to bet and you really believed things were going to fall were a given i would say you had to be mostly out or else you didn't really belive we would fall yourself.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:59 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
somehow i doubt that you had much left .. if i had to bet and you really believed things were going to fall were a given i would say you had to be mostly out or else you didn't really belive we would fall yourself.
Exactly! Someone saying we are idiots for not selling when we "know" the market will go down makes it hard to believe he held through the announcement lol. He should have just remained silent lol.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:46 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
Quote:
I sold off most of my position's today at the highs.
Of course you did.

Quote:
Someone saying we are idiots for not selling when we "know" the market will go down makes it hard to believe he held through the announcement lol.
Yes, especially when that same someone was posting in other threads about selling early in the week and buying back AFTER the pullback from Wednesdays Fed meeting and taper announcement.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:51 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,673,621 times
The overall trend in the stock market has been bullish for a long time anyway. Yesterday was a nice little bonus. Today, we might get a pullback breather.

It's all good. Business as usual.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:43 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The overall trend in the stock market has been bullish for a long time anyway. Yesterday was a nice little bonus. Today, we might get a pullback breather.

It's all good. Business as usual.
Well, yes, and no.

The stock market has accomplished exactly what the Fed wished to have happen: We give them riskless, or less risky, secure assets, and they give us cash to place into more risky assets. We do exactly as predicted, and thus the market is making new highs even as the fundamentals continue to deteriorate.

Yesterday was a product of the Fed miscommunicating their intentions. Yes, they got a 'squeezy' bounce, but at what cost? Ben must have been smiling at dinner last night because he really stuck it to the professional community...had them leaning left, and he gave the car a sharp jerk to the right.

Wall Street will not soon forget this moment. And they will never get back into the car with Ben ever again.

That loss, mark my words, will be a turning point in this whole charade. Ben forgot who got the market to this point; the economy is obviously in much worse shape than has been reported; Ben passed on the 'get out of jail free' card; and now the next (Ben again?--he was kind of wry when asked what his plans were) Chairman is on his own. Street's balance sheet of risk is just as big as Ben's balance sheet of less risky assets.

How you going to close that trade???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing