Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 05:21 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times

Advertisements

With my investments, I've noticed over the years, there is usually a drop after the new year, so I would wait until sometime in February. An advisor with Merrill will be thrilled silly to have 100k to invest for you. I think eskercurve's #14 post is good information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2013, 05:57 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Here's one opinion...there are others...Stock Market Crash Warning Signs - Business Insider

The crash will have little to do with housing market, which is bouncing back..it's more high stock prices not supported by earnings.
These kinds of articles have been coming out since 2010. People need to stop predicting the market and just trade the trend.

Look at how much money someone who has tried shorting this market the past year, two years, three years, four years etc thinking that, "OH, THIS HAS TO BE THE TOP!"

If the market starts to rollover, you can start closing some positions, if it actually ends up rolling over, you can open some short positions. Don't try to predict the top and don't try to predict the bottom.

There is always money to be made, it doesn't matter if it is a bull or bear market. The people who are at risk are the ones thinking that they know something the market doesn't know, such as the author of the article you posted.

Old 12-01-2013, 01:49 AM

329 posts, read 460,632 times
Buy a few bitcoins....!

Old 12-01-2013, 06:46 AM

1,767 posts, read 1,743,554 times
Unfortunately Rubi3, the Merrill folks will not be thrilled to get the $100K, this is a small backburner account. The advisers at Merrill really do not want accounts less then $500K-$2Mil depending on which office.

The best advisors in my opinion for smaller accounts are fee only based planners/ charging either hourly or flat fee for thier guidance and any necessary hand holding.

Old 12-01-2013, 12:34 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,363,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post
Buy a few bitcoins....!
Sure, buy high, sell low

Personally I do not ascribe to Internet funbux having any value at all. Expect it to tank in the near future, as it has done many, many times in the past.

Old 12-03-2013, 03:18 AM

392 posts, read 807,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapcharly View Post

Then ditch this useless USA nationality so you are free from irs and move to a country which tax on residence and not on your nationality.
Singapore,Saudi,.... You can live from your interest only and still visit the USA with a tourist visa.

But I think this is too much to ask.... :-) only free men got freedom !
You can't invest with US broker unless you are US Citizen or Green Card holder. It was possible in past but not anymore and outside US brokers are ....joke.

They just closed many foreigner positions they all lost their money! LOL!
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/dire...y-account.html
http://www.aussiestockforums.com/for...ad.php?t=25382

Last edited by vrhunski; 12-03-2013 at 03:33 AM..

Old 12-03-2013, 10:43 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,257,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrhunski View Post
You can't invest with US broker unless you are US Citizen or Green Card holder.
Wrong. My friend who is neither opened a brokerage account with Scottrade a few weeks ago.

Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM

1,552 posts, read 3,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Thanks.

I'm not going to manage it myself. I'm was going to meet with a $ manager and have them invest and diversify it as they see fit. Someone from Merryl probably. Just wasn't sure if I should wait to meet with them and fork over the $ yet or give it a few months to see if the mkt takes a nosedive.
most of those people arent worth a penny, in fact they do more harm than good.
what they will do is put your money into funds with high expense ratios that pay them high commisions that cost you lots of money in the long run.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:05 AM

392 posts, read 807,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
Wrong. My friend who is neither opened a brokerage account with Scottrade a few weeks ago.

Tell him to close account. They will close his position and he will be out of all money on account. TD Ameritrade and Firstrade just did that due to some new 'law'.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:29 PM

3,026 posts, read 3,648,651 times
Should you invest? Some would say to wait a month or two...

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing