Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 04:25 PM

18,550 posts, read 15,624,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
I agree it's not yet quite as bad, but where do you get the idea that Millennials have so much money???

Millennials are already the most debt burdened generation in the history of this country. Good paying jobs are scarce, they have dim prospects for any future wage growth, they have an enormous amount of student loan debt. They arguably have the LOWEST amount of discretionary potential of any generation in history?

How again are they going to buy up all this real estate when they already graduate from college with a non-dischargeable mortgage (student loan)?
Income based repayment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,964,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
No, they are not paying less than they would in rent. You forgot to account for taxes, insurance, maintenance, cleaning, lawn care, repairs, opportunity cost of down payment, opportunity cost of closing costs, opportunity cost (and depreciation!) of appliances and furniture, opportunity cost of added emergency fund, added commute cost (gas, vehicle maintenance and repair, depreciation) due to inability to move closer to place of employment, opportunity cost of time spent on the house and aforementioned commute, etc.

In an efficient market, the beta-adjusted return on housing should be equal to that of equities, and right now, it is much, much lower.
No but they still are investing in what is real asset. Landlords do not rent at a loss or to break even. My home is worth minimum of 1500 per month in retirement even with insurance and expenses even if I could find a equal. Pay me now or pay me forever as saying goes.There is a reason that investors are 40% of buyers of existing homes now and its not to lose money even with tax differences of homeowners being better. Fixed asset investment have skyrocketed over average persons market recovery to 2008 levels even.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:06 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,745,457 times
Rising house prices is not, in itself, a sign of a bubble. Bubbles occur when assets are bought with unrealistic expectations of future housing price rises. What are you seeing is a "correction".

Old 12-26-2013, 07:13 AM

4,543 posts, read 6,817,883 times
Here in New England we are not seeing bubble prices. Very few markets are anywhere near their 2008 prices. The New England home price index is 15.1% below its Mar 2007 peak.

Some markets are actually continuing to decline.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,204,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Jenver View Post
Second, the average new home sales price in the month of November...
....is a worthless statistic that is misleading.

Quote:
Be prepared.
For what?

Like I actually give a damn about housing or real estate.

It takes years to build a bubble. Earliest possible time-frame for potential problems is 2017.

Quote:
Hi OregonWoodSmoke.

This is US data compiled by the US Federal Reserve:
Yeah, so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Your teeny tiny set of observations does not invalidate an overall trend in prices.
Quote:
Average Sales Price....
...is totally meaningless.

What is the median price, adjusted for Purchasing Power Parity?
There are 1,539 separately functioning economies in the US.

Prices will vary, for many reasons, including the fact that the Cost-of-Living varies greatly throughout the US.

Your own government says that in some parts of the US, a single person with an annual income of $9,101 has too much money to have their housing subsidized by the taxpayers.

The very same government says that in other parts of the US, a single person with an annual income of $54,390 does not have enough money for housing and the taxpayers subsidize their housing.

Do you understand that in terms of wages, at 2,000 hours annually, $9,101 is $4.55/hour?

And that $53,900 is $26.75/hour?

It just astounds me that you people go through such acrobatic lengths to make Economics harder than it has to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
That is a good question. Another good question is why does the government have any role in the mortgage market at all? I think there are much better uses for our tax dollars than to run several government departments whose job is to help finance homes.
You, sir, get the prize for the Question of the Day.

The government should not have any role in mortgages.

The government, by artificially suppressing interest rates, plus flooding the Real Estate Market with cash and credit, creates Interest Inflation which artificially inflates the value of housing in all Markets.

If, as a matter of policy, the government intends to back mortgages, then such backing needs to be heavily restricted.

For example, if you have a government-backed mortgage, then you are barred from obtaining a 2nd or 3rd Mortgage, and barred from a HELOC.

People who want to use their homes as giant credit cards need to find a lender to back them, not the freaking tax-payers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
And interest rates are lower which makes spending $XXX,XXX on real estate more affordable now than a few years ago.
That's true if, and only if, the interest rates are not artificially suppressed, and the Market is not flooded with cash and credit.

Quote:
Millennials are already the most debt burdened generation in the history of this country.
Which proves how stupid they are.

I got two undergrad degrees and two graduate degrees without any student loans...I worked....and, why yes, that was this Century....and, why no, I don't wanna hear any sob stories.

Millennials still haven't figured out the difference between "needing" and "wanting"...you want student loans, but you don't actually need them.

Not bubbling...

Mircea

Old 12-26-2013, 11:20 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,830,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodlife36 View Post
That is not true. Homes are not selling for anywhere close to what people paid back in 2008. Many people are actually paying less than what they would pay in rent. In addition, there are a lot of cash buyers.
Real estate is local. I bought my house in 2008 and sold it in 2013 for $50k more (about 15% appreciation).

Old 12-26-2013, 02:16 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,634,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock847 View Post
...uhh you realize this data is only for NEW HOMES (i.e. homes that were just built and are being sold for the first time), which make up a small portion of the housing market.

For a more comprehensive look at the housing market, not just NEW HOMES, try this which shows prices are not back up to bubble levels:
S&P/Case-Shiller 20-City Composite Home Price Index - S&P Dow Jones Indices

And interest rates are lower which makes spending $XXX,XXX on real estate more affordable now than a few years ago.
Yes, and also the OP is quoting "average" prices, not "median", which is a more realistic idea of where things stand. The median is still not back to what it was pre-crash on a national basis (or even in most local areas).

Old 12-26-2013, 02:19 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,636,667 times
My house is worth about $40k more than it was in 2008. No complaints here.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:15 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,373,530 times
Quote:
I agree it's not yet quite as bad, but where do you get the idea that Millennials have so much money???

Millennials are already the most debt burdened generation in the history of this country. Good paying jobs are scarce, they have dim prospects for any future wage growth, they have an enormous amount of student loan debt. They arguably have the LOWEST amount of discretionary potential of any generation in history?

How again are they going to buy up all this real estate when they already graduate from college with a non-dischargeable mortgage (student loan)?
I dunno where all the money comes from. Ask Millennials. It's obviously working for them. Remember they're buying their FIRST homes, NOT the McMansions the Boomers bought in the 80s/90s. So the cost will be lower. And remember that they're delaying childbirth, buying that first home, etc. for stability and ensuring they can have fun and enjoy their youth, and advance at work. Also remember many Millennials are staying at home after graduation and working, which means they can save bucu bucks.

Old 12-26-2013, 03:44 PM

18,550 posts, read 15,624,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
I dunno where all the money comes from. Ask Millennials. It's obviously working for them. Remember they're buying their FIRST homes, NOT the McMansions the Boomers bought in the 80s/90s. So the cost will be lower. And remember that they're delaying childbirth, buying that first home, etc. for stability and ensuring they can have fun and enjoy their youth, and advance at work. Also remember many Millennials are staying at home after graduation and working, which means they can save bucu bucks.
When you factor in the commute, living at home may not be cheaper than living near work with roommates, because of all those pesky car expenses people tend to omit from their budgets...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing