Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 AM

497 posts, read 553,711 times

Advertisements

The two lines in the chart below have a perfect correlation (even though the slopes of the lines are different).

I made a very simple statement:

"The current DJIA pattern correlates with some historic crashes."

This is 100% accurate. I wasn't trying to deceive anyone, but it does require that you understand the definition of correlation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,030 times
We are in a 5 year bull market, only about 30 percent of markets have ever run as a bull past that time. So its a 70 percent historical chance that a decent correction is in the next year or less. Personally I have sold a lot of puts deep out of the money for more than bid by about double. If a market drops I will be automatically set to sell puts a very good price for the year. Too many economists keep publishing the idea that the market is over priced. Now for the idiots who will try to say I am saying end of the world, no its not, but I think its a time to be careful unless you want to sit and wait a year or so to get back to even.

Its like what one big investor said at the turn of the century, when asked how he became wealthy. “I made a fortune getting out too soon.” - J.P. Morgan

Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Cramer had a good point last night on all the investors saying a market crash is immanent. His point was that although there are a lot of stocks like TSLA and Amazon that are very over priced and can crush people there are also a lot of good stocks a that are not frothy. I did like his point about the negative nay-bobs look for that one time to be right.
Cramer does not have much of a record at recognizing when market corrections are coming.
The whole issue of whether stocks are overvalued or undervalued is a strawman, the real factor that determines when a bull market is nearing a time of correction is margin debt.

It is the percentage of margin debt that determines the level of scared money in a market. That scared money does not have the luxury of sticking it out when things get ugly. It also determines how much money is potentially available to do the purchasing that will curtail a bear market once it begins.

Margin debt is currently at an all time high.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 AM

1,507 posts, read 1,974,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Cramer does not have much of a record at recognizing when market corrections are coming.
The whole issue of whether stocks are overvalued or undervalued is a strawman, the real factor that determines when a bull market is nearing a time of correction is margin debt.

It is the percentage of margin debt that determines the level of scared money in a market. That scared money does not have the luxury of sticking it out when things get ugly. It also determines how much money is potentially available to do the purchasing that will curtail a bear market once it begins.

Margin debt is currently at an all time high.
I have no idea why you put Cramer in the post. I guess you follow him? Margin debt is at all time highs. You can argue that that is a bullish sign, but its not a slow easy fall when it tops out. It will be a crash. Nothing can go up forever. As I said above I think to say its the end of the world is crazy, but to say the market needs a nice 15 percent pull back. Yep that is a good possibility. I think the percentages favor it. Maybe even a 20 percent. How many people who deny market reversals then cry and whine when the 2000 or 87s hit? If you are on the side lines waiting to buy in those are the people who make the big gains. a 20 percent correcting can do a lot of damage to the last two years of gains for most investors. Couple this with the fed tapering and any thing else added like Russia starting a hot war in Ukraine or North Korea and its Jenga.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:24 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I have no idea why you put Cramer in the post. I guess you follow him? Margin debt is at all time highs. You can argue that that is a bullish sign, but its not a slow easy fall when it tops out. It will be a crash. Nothing can go up forever. As I said above I think to say its the end of the world is crazy, but to say the market needs a nice 15 percent pull back. Yep that is a good possibility. I think the percentages favor it. Maybe even a 20 percent. How many people who deny market reversals then cry and whine when the 2000 or 87s hit? If you are on the side lines waiting to buy in those are the people who make the big gains. a 20 percent correcting can do a lot of damage to the last two years of gains for most investors. Couple this with the fed tapering and any thing else added like Russia starting a hot war in Ukraine or North Korea and its Jenga.
Another important thing to remember is that when you take a 20% hit, you need to make double that amount back just to break even.
I learned a long time ago that the most important rule of making money, is to avoid losing money when possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing