Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are you putting your cash?
Real Estate, you don't believe in the bubble theory. 2 6.06%
Domestic Stocks/Mutuals 1 3.03%
Domestic Bonds 0 0%
International securities 3 9.09%
International Real Estate 0 0%
Futures/Commodities 1 3.03%
Retirement Account (401k/IRA) 6 18.18%
Savings account/CD's 5 15.15%
Your mattress 2 6.06%
What money? 13 39.39%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 03:48 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,891,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i think ill spend about 90% of my money on booze,wild women and fine cigars, the other 10% ill just waste
Math?

Are you one of my brothers?
Perhaps one of my ex-boyfriends?
Sounds like my dad. But, he did go with a smile on his face...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2006, 11:37 AM

70 posts, read 85,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkoons View Post
Where's the button for "All of the above?" Haha, not like I am loaded, but diversification of assets is the way to go. I have money allocated to stable stocks like national banks, 401K, IRA, savings accounts, and real estate (primary residence). I'm pretty happy with my investments at my age, but I also have a tendency to blow money on a lot of junk... like mathjak107. I like his answer the best!
I should have clarified my question, sorry. I was wondering where MOST of your money is going. I think we all diversify, but ultimately we all lean toward one investment more than the other. I personally have about 75% of my 401k in international funds. I've been making more than 15% every year for the last 4 years. The least I made was 15.x, the most I made was 32.x%. No I'm not some sort of maven, I just applied simply logic. As long as GWB is running things into the ground here, my money is better invested there, there being UK and Asia. The rest is in a few select common stocks and savings.

**Note, if you're over 50, stay away from the international funds. No more than 10% if you must. I'm not young, but younger than most I can gamble a bit at this stage of the game. Once I can get my 401k up to 100k or so I'll be moving over to the conservative side of things looking for 5-8% gains instead.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:01 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
I guess I'm pretty conservative. I should've gone with the answer,"What money", but seriously, I prefer CDs and savings and government bonds. Right at the moment the I bonds are doing AWFUL, but have been running between 7 and 8% in the past. Guess I just don't have that much extra to risk losing it in the stock market. Oh yea, and we do have a bit in our employee retirement funds.

Old 10-28-2006, 03:15 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,990,063 times
For me my choice was to pull out of stocks for the most part. I still have one managed fund, but the rest I liquidated carefully. I lost a lot of money in the 2000 stock market crash and all of my stock options went from $136/share as a high to $4 with a $76 option price (tell me my o-ring didn't contract! ) I got over it though. Big deal. That's life. But I learned a lesson, and that was not to keep all my assets in a risky basket. I was one of the lucky ones who bought homes and sold homes at the right times. My last one netted me almost $250K. I already had substantial savings as well. So, I paid cash for my new home. My thought was...no more throwing money into "investments" right now. I realize they may pay off, maybe even handsomely (like I wanted to buy gold last year at $320 an ounce in June of 05 but talked myself out of it. I was going to buy 100 ounces. Well, I could have made a lot of money had I done it. Oh well. I didn't! Now it's twice as expensive and out of reach for me. Instead I figured...get bases secured. Pay off the house. That's the biggest monthly expense in my experience. Now I don't have any payments for anything. No debt. No credit card debt, no equity loan debts, no auto debt, no nada debt...and I'm not extravagant. I will continue to save money though going forward as I can and when I feel it's an amount I can afford to gamble, take risks here and there in investing.

Old 11-03-2006, 02:25 AM

923 posts, read 3,514,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theqbaby View Post
Paying property taxes and homeowners insurance for homes in Florida !
I feel Ya Pain.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing