Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 03:20 PM

106,831 posts, read 109,073,990 times

Advertisements

talking against their indexing is like committing heresy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 03:31 PM

62 posts, read 106,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
Are you saying Bogleheads have become a cult?
I guess they are a cult since they all exhibit "excessive devotion" to the same investment strategy that will prove to be a disaster in the next year or so.

Old 10-23-2014, 05:43 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,979,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
talking against their indexing is like committing heresy
mathjak,

I checked to see if your name was listed in their forum.

Bogleheads • Index page

Old 10-23-2014, 06:18 PM

106,831 posts, read 109,073,990 times
although i utilize some funds from vanguard i have never had much interest in being a boglehead.

i tend to stick with the methods that i have found work for me. i find their over emphisis of expenses and indexing to be the iceing on the cake once you can develope a strategy ,the discipline and the tax knowledge to go about things on your own and get the real foundation in place..

as an investor only interested in gains my entire life i found i paid far to little attention when structuring to the the tax implications of things later on.

so it was all well and good i developed a 7 figure portfolio but now i have to give way to much back in taxes through retirement.

that could have been avoided early on had i had a better education or knew smarter people skilled in that area early on.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:55 PM

2,236 posts, read 2,979,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
although i utilize some funds from vanguard i have never had much interest in being a boglehead.

i tend to stick with the methods that i have found work for me. i find their over emphisis of expenses and indexing to be the iceing on the cake once you can develope a strategy ,the discipline and the tax knowledge to go about things on your own and get the real foundation in place..

as an investor only interested in gains my entire life i found i paid far to little attention when structuring to the the tax implications of things later on.

so it was all well and good i developed a 7 figure portfolio but now i have to give way to much back in taxes through retirement.

that could have been avoided early on had i had a better education or knew smarter people skilled in that area early on.
I agree with you about the taxes. We end up taking all the risks and the Gov't and accountants get the rewards. Even the social security is taxable. Anyways.........

Old 10-23-2014, 10:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,886,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGekkoSC View Post
You should NEVER ask for investment advice on an Internet Forum.

Bogleheads drink the buy and hold Kool Aid, which will get you in trouble during a bear market.

The fee you pay for proper risk management pales in comparison to what you will lose during a market downturn if you are not hedging.
Question: Are you rich?

Old 11-07-2014, 06:18 AM

4,543 posts, read 3,766,012 times
We've been interested in getting advice on managing our retirement accounts. DH was offered a free three month trial service from Hewitt Aon. We received their recommendations and projections of increasing our retirement accounts by 10-20%, for a 7% fee. It took 45 minutes on the phone and four people to cancel this free trial. We did get an email acknowledging our cancellation.

We're still looking.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:35 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,078,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccotecc View Post
mathjak,

I checked to see if your name was listed in their forum.

Bogleheads • Index page
I suspect there are a number of people like me who read the forum frequently and have never registered to post.

Old 11-07-2014, 05:28 PM

4,543 posts, read 3,766,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
We've been interested in getting advice on managing our retirement accounts. DH was offered a free three month trial service from Hewitt Aon. We received their recommendations and projections of increasing our retirement accounts by 10-20%, for a 7% fee. It took 45 minutes on the phone and four people to cancel this free trial. We did get an email acknowledging our cancellation.

We're still looking.
Correction, .7% quarterly

Old 11-07-2014, 06:34 PM

26,194 posts, read 21,631,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Correction, .7% quarterly

I hope that is actually 0.70%/4 if you are paying quarterly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing