Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:11 AM

25,585 posts, read 17,310,316 times

Advertisements

.................. U.S. stocks from 1970 to 2011, and what the researchers found is surprising: The riskiest 25 percent of stocks—those most vulnerable to swings of the broad market—logged an average annual return of just over 7 percent per year. The least-risky 25 percent of stocks returned 10.6 percent per year..............

Is this ground breaking news?He's talking about a 41 year period, and he's telling me that I should steer clear of stocks with a beta of greater than 1.
He also seems to have assumed that in 1970 I invested all the money I was going to invest.
How about it, fellow oldsters, did you have a lot of money to invest in 1970?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 08:35 AM

3,150 posts, read 1,606,175 times
As I posted in another thread, beta is an important factor as one gets close to the distribution phase and comfort level at taking a distribution when a volatility is high. This past year best performers were healthcare and utility sectors, low volatility. The attached link lists the performance of DOW, S&P, NASDAQ, small-caps, mid-caps and sectors. Price change does not include dividends; DIA = 3.18%, SPY = 2.3%, QQQ = 1.09%.

Beta may not be as important in the accumulation stage.

My portfolio includes percentages from each ETF supplemented with individual dividend stocks, i.e., large cap pharma and individual bonds with various maturities so distributions can be taken from the relative best performers.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/do...MW_latest_news

Old 12-31-2018, 09:19 AM

106,737 posts, read 108,937,910 times
there was an interesting article on seeking alpha about low beta stocks . additional studies have show low beta stocks many times are low beta because the have low trading volume .

once they trade they jump up or down like crazy and are not really low beta .

https://seekingalpha.com/article/352...ow-beta-stocks

Old 01-01-2019, 06:23 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,773,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
As others have said this is not a new result. What is interesting with this is the back story.

Most financiers and economists believe there is an inherent relationship between risk and return - investors will demand a higher return for more risk. This led to CAPM (for which Markowitz and Sharpe received a Nobel Prize) which says there is a linear relationship between risk (as measured with volatility) and return.

But over time people noticed what the GMO article pointed out: that the relationship is not linear, there are other things that affect returns. This led to the famous Fama-French model for returns, for which Fama won a Nobel Prize. That model also relies heavily on risk but includes two other "factors" in predicting returns.

Since then Fama-French has been found lacking also and now people are looking at models with 5-7 factors that are used to predict returns. There are some mutual funds that are built on this "factor investing" model, but volatility continues to be a key factor in all these models.

The bottom line is that it is not that high volatility stocks fail, it is that the risk-adjusted return of high volatility stocks is lower than the risk-adjusted return of low volatility stocks, on average, violating CAPM. But if you look at just the return, not the risk-adjusted return, it is higher for higher volatility stocks, on average, but clearly investors are not being sufficiently compensated for the risk they are taking with higher volatility stocks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing