Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2015, 12:53 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,115,794 times

Advertisements

Looking to diversify a bit and get away from overpriced equities, and with all the doom and gloom (eurozone, Russia, etc.) this looks like it may be a good time to purchase foreign debt. Anyone have any experience or know where to get started as a small private investor? Thanks.

edit: I have a very high risk tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2015, 12:58 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,937,527 times
I know you said debt and not equities, but Indian equities are widely expected to return 15-25% this year. I parked 20% of my equity portfolio in India-linked ETFs to take advantage of it (and I have a 65/35 allocation, so it's 13% of my entire portfolio).

Old 01-27-2015, 12:15 PM

373 posts, read 483,853 times
What's the name of the ETF if you don't mind me asking?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:30 PM

30,906 posts, read 37,025,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Looking to diversify a bit and get away from overpriced equities, and with all the doom and gloom (eurozone, Russia, etc.) this looks like it may be a good time to purchase foreign debt. Anyone have any experience or know where to get started as a small private investor? Thanks.

edit: I have a very high risk tolerance.
You might want to look at an emerging markets bond fund. Something like Fidelity New Markets Income or T. Rowe Price Emerging Markets Bond.

For something more broad based (not just emerging markets), there's Dodge & Cox Global Bond. This is a new fund, but all of D&C's other funds have great long term performance...and they are keeping the expense ratio to .60% or less, which is cheap for this category. I expect the D&C fund to have lower returns because it's more conservative, but it can also invest in emerging markets bonds as well as below investment grade bonds.

If you have at least 50K and use a broker, I think you can buy Templeton Global Bond (TGBAX). Great long term returns, although a bit lackluster last year. The last several years it's had almost nothing in the US and has only kept a minimal amount in developed markets because of ultra low interest rates. It focuses more on government bonds, though...doesn't invest much in corporates.

Another option is Loomis Sayles Bond. It does some currency plays and is pretty aggressive, but it does have restrictions as to how much it can invest abroad and in below investment grade. But it does have great returns if you can stomach the expense ratio of .91%. If you have 100%, the ER drops to a more reasonable .63%.

Old 01-27-2015, 06:28 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,937,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrQ2 View Post
What's the name of the ETF if you don't mind me asking?
I live in Canada, so I bought XID, listed on the TSX. For the NYSE, an equivalent ETF in US dollars is INDY.

XID has already gained 8% since the New Year, so I expect there will be a correction shortly.

Here's the 1-month chart for INDY: a gain of 11%.

http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/INDY:US

Old 01-27-2015, 10:29 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,695,092 times
Quote:
overpriced equities
S&P is at about a 20 P/E ratio, which is high but look at what is keeping it going. CD's pay peanuts. People fear bonds because of low interest rates. Money from Europe is looking for safety in the US.

QE is also propping up the market. People always assume that it will stop at the next meeting. They might keep it going and going. I don't think the Fed will allow the market to crash. They're looking out for retiree portfolios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing