Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 01:24 PM

593 posts, read 669,203 times

Advertisements

All you Bio guys I have something I am curious about. Have any of you guys heard of/invested in GERN, if so what is your opinion? I think the drug they are working on is going to change the game in certain cancer treatments. The results thus far have been amazing. So many things have happened recently in the positive for this drug and company. I am seeing some resemblance to PCYC which as we all know is what every biotech stock aims for price wise. This is a 100% make it or break it stock don't get me wrong, you do not want to invest here if you cannot lose the money. They have gotten hit hard the last few days, but that does not change the LT predictions I have for this stock.

NOTE- This is not a secret pump scheme for GERN. I truly believe in the mid to long term this will be a great investment but I genuinely want others opinions. After reading their studies and stuff I am really impressed with what they have to offer, hopefully the FDA feels the same. I have A LOT of my own money in this and an out price that is a stretch but not impossible in this sector.

Last edited by 02blackgt; 04-30-2015 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 06:07 PM

242 posts, read 244,946 times
About a month ago I got burnt on a company called MEI Pharma. They were working on a cancer drug called Pracinostat. First found of testing went well and stock was trading in the mid-$6 range. Second round of testing showed no improvement over that of a patient who was not using Pracinostat. I am now saddled with a certain amount of shares trading in the $2 range. Could I afford the loss? Yes because it was really that much money in the grand scheme of things. Do I want to go through that again? Not at this point.

GERN is a different company with a similar issue. I will watch but I am losing enough in bio tech as it is currently and am a little gun shy.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:19 PM

593 posts, read 669,203 times
Yea I never bought any MEI but I've heard of them. The good part of GERNs drug is that the mayo clinic has used it on trial patients with success. Phase 2 just started so I guess only time will tell. I like this company bc they are backed by Johnson and Johnson also. They just bought in this for 935 million.

Old 05-01-2015, 12:55 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,182,692 times
I don't buy the small biotech companies w/o pipeline as the risk is too high IMO. I stick with larger ones that already have products on the market (GILD etc.) or just technology platforms like XON etc. I think guessing what product is going to make it to the market is almost like guessing lottery numbers :-)

Old 05-09-2015, 07:25 AM

761 posts, read 833,787 times
I'm invested primarily in Fidelity and I have done real well with FBIOX.
Invests in a variety of companies like Biogen and Gilead.

Up 16.56% ytd and 48.11% for the year.
Got clobbered a bit recently but bounced right back.
I like it.

Old 05-10-2015, 07:51 AM

242 posts, read 244,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliotgb View Post

I like it.
Yup. You could say the bolded part again.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:06 PM

373 posts, read 483,404 times
Quote:

I like it.
Congrat on your yield. But I think biotech as a sector except for a few stocks are near their tops and almost at a bubble status. It would be dangerous for novice to go into this sector right now. For traders, there's room but not for a newbie who is thinking about buying and then holding FBIOX for 1+ year.

FBIOX now = GLD in 2011

Old 05-11-2015, 10:46 PM

956 posts, read 791,263 times
GERN has options. Just make sure to use options to protect your investment around binary events. Be sure the cash position is strong... remember "funded through..." means expect dilution before then.

Don't get greedy and wrap an options collar around your price points when you think the price has fully inflated ahead of a binary event.

The commercialization phase is often the highest risk with less percent price appreciation, so usually I would exit once a stock has reached my target or it has succeeded in getting satisfactory trial results or FDA approval.

Last edited by mitchmiller9; 05-11-2015 at 10:55 PM..

Old 05-15-2015, 07:54 AM

761 posts, read 833,787 times
+164% gain on FBIOX since I have been in.

Take the money and run and buy in again later when it drops?

Old 05-16-2015, 05:30 AM

6,399 posts, read 6,290,199 times
Quote:
+164% gain on FBIOX since I have been in.

Take the money and run and buy in again later when it drops?
Yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing