Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:54 AM

581 posts, read 616,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
So you are telling me that people should have bought Stocks when the DOW was over 18,000 and held them for 20 years? The only way they would see a profit was if the DOW went to 19,000 or 20,000 or higher. Do you really think the DOW will EVER (and I mean ever) go that high?
Absolutely it will. It might not be for 10years, but it will absolutely hit 20k at some point, barring a complete apocalyptic meltdown of society.

You constantly say you don't know enough about investing to begin doing it, yet here and on other threads you claim to know for sure that the Dow will drop to 10,000. Stop trolling out bad advice and stick to trying to learn about markets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 09:03 AM

19,835 posts, read 22,734,712 times
Quote:
So you are telling me that people should have bought Stocks when the DOW was over 18,000 and held them for 20 years? The only way they would see a profit was if the DOW went to 19,000 or 20,000 or higher. Do you really think the DOW will EVER (and I mean ever) go that high?
Nobody thought the DOW would go to 5,000. It did. Nobody thought the Dow would go to 10,000. It did. No one thought the Dow would go 15,000... Well it did..

If I listened to all those naysayers and doomers I'd have less than half of what I have accumulated in my investments today.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:14 AM

1,115 posts, read 1,470,319 times
Quote:
Again, stupid investing strategy lol. Why are you holding through the height instead of selling and waiting on the sidelines for the bottom (or discount period) to come around again?

Just buy and hold forever? Lol, what in the hell kind of investing do you guys do around here?
Unless you have a crystal ball no one knows the heights that you speak of. There are tons of doomdayers that have been on the sidelines since 2012 waiting for that crash because the market was "so overvalued" at that point. Timing the market requires you to be right two times. the people who sold In 2012 and 2013 waiting for that crash lost out on 40% in gains waiting around for the great correction.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:27 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,432,053 times
Quote:
Again, stupid investing strategy lol. Why are you holding through the height instead of selling and waiting on the sidelines for the bottom (or discount period) to come around again?

Just buy and hold forever? Lol, what in the hell kind of investing do you guys do around here?
There is really no need to be so contentious regarding investment strategies. Buy and hold with a reasonable stock/bond split allocation has historically proven to be a highly effective strategy. This is well documented. I cannot think of any way to reasonable forecast the future without looking at prior events. We also know that the bottom and top of the market cannot be accurately predicted and market timing for the average investor is not a winning strategy in the long run.

What you are doing is akin to saying "I know the sun has been coming up in the East for a long time, but one day you are in for a big surprise".

Your speculation that the DOW will continue to slide to 10k is not supported by any sound metrics.

Quite a few people have already said that if you are not comfortable with buy and hold you should not do it. But for you to continually call people that do it stupid is not supported by any sound reason and only serves to alienate you on what should be learning forum, not a soapbox for diatribes.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:32 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,046,219 times
scared to look.....

Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 AM

906 posts, read 1,769,429 times
Quote:

Its worked pretty well for me over the last 10 years since I started accumulating for retirement. And the more I read, the more I'm convinced you are just another CD troll that's not worth responding to anymore.

Old 08-26-2015, 09:48 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,212,041 times
haven't checked. I usually check once a month but ive had so much going on that I have not had the time.

plus ive been mad about my financial situation, not being able to contribute to my ira, and putting the minimum in my 401ks to get the match. so I really haven't been interested.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:05 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,304,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
haven't checked. I usually check once a month but ive had so much going on that I have not had the time.

plus ive been mad about my financial situation, not being able to contribute to my ira, and putting the minimum in my 401ks to get the match. so I really haven't been interested.
so you just posted here that you don't know the answer to the thread's question? lol
thanks for that contribution. hehe you could have taken that same time and looked at your 401k.

just joking. no worries. best of luck to you.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:13 AM

1,098 posts, read 1,247,638 times
Just checked...lost 6K YTD.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:19 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,025,740 times
OK... Just pull my MTD statement

I'm Up $1,674 8/1 - 8/25

(Does not count contributions, just Growth)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing