Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 AM

18,109 posts, read 15,690,551 times

Advertisements

I put in the maximum allowed by IRS rules into my 401K whenever I'm employed (I've had gaps in a few years, unfortunately, due to unemployment). This year the maximum amount, including catch-up is $24K. My 401K is diversified. I figure saving as much as I possibly can while I'm employed, is what's in my control. The stock market is not in my control. My nest egg/401K/IRAs have all been rolled over and consolidated as of April to Fidelity guided investments/managed by Fidelity, and my portfolio is aligned to "growth," which means I'm taking some risks. Perhaps the good news is that all my existing 401Ks and IRAs were 'sold' off in April & May to move them over to the Fidelity Managed Portfolio side. That means gains did get locked in then.

I hope to be able to have enough to not have to work by age 60, though that doesn't mean I was expecting to not ever want to work. Have 5.5 years till then. I looked at my portfolio total value a few weeks ago (obviously before the 'correction') and realized that *if* I lost my job this year, I would be okay and if I wanted to work part-time as an option, I could. Now.... well....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
so you just posted here that you don't know the answer to the thread's question? lol
thanks for that contribution. hehe
the s&p is down nearly 11% since mid august, aint hard to figure out if you're heavily into us equities.

if you are heavily invested in china, you definitely should not be looking at your 401k.

just checked my ira, it is down 9% in those two weeks. happy now?

Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,430,337 times
Down about 6.6% on a roughly 60/40 stock/bond split.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,300,293 times
Quote:
so you just posted here that you don't know the answer to the thread's question? lol
thanks for that contribution. hehe you could have taken that same time and looked at your 401k.

just joking. no worries. best of luck to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
the s&p is down nearly 11% since mid august, aint hard to figure out if you're heavily into us equities.

if you are heavily invested in china, you definitely should not be looking at your 401k.

just checked my ira, it is down 9% in those two weeks. happy now?
dude, chilax! lol
nobody forced you to respond to this thread if you didn't want to.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:39 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,210,024 times
Quote:
dude, chilax! lol
you respond to my post and I responded back with some info. whats the problem? im chill mang i didn't do anything. ive been checking my ira more than my 401ks because logging into my 401ks are like logging into the cia database. and the info they provide sucks compared to my ira at fidelity.

Quote:
nobody forced you to respond to this thread if you didn't want to.
mybad dude I live in north korea so I didn't know that.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:41 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Down 7% in a week

Of course, I've actually upped my contribution. Figure now's a good time to buy low

Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,385,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
I went all "Cash" in my 401K (Fixed Value Fund) two months ago,

FVF pays ~ 4.5% "Interest"
I did the same at the end of July but my stable value fund pays about 2.0%, not 4.5%. All the talk about the Feds raising interest rates and stocks being over valued, etc. made me nervous so I decided to bail until late Fall. But with the correction, I went back to my original allocation on Monday afternoon. While it would be nice to make a few dollars on the rebound, my biggest relief is that I did not lose 5-10% - am two years from retirement. I'm where I need to be on the 401k and could afford to lose some but want to preserve it as much as possible.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 08-26-2015 at 02:46 PM..

Old 08-26-2015, 03:00 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,915 times
I'm down about 7%, 90/10 stocks/bonds. Seems scary in the short-term, but I'm still 20 years away from retirement, so odds are I won't particularly care about this month/year at retirement.

And like others have said, now's a good time to buy more... let the panicked sellers take the hit while we ride the next upswing. We don't have crystal balls, so we can't time the market, but we can use the consistency of returns to come out ahead.

Old 08-26-2015, 04:05 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Again, stupid investing strategy lol. Why are you holding through the height instead of selling and waiting on the sidelines for the bottom (or discount period) to come around again?

Just buy and hold forever? Lol, what in the hell kind of investing do you guys do around here?
Looks like the same kind of investing you like to do:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
Overview: I'm currently continuing my "research" to determine if I should move monies out of my Long Term CDs and into the Stock/Bond Markets through Balanced Funds tied to US and International Indexes.

Age/Background: I'm 32 and don't plan on pulling any of these monies out for usage until age 65, which gives the Fund 33 years to grow. I'm a pretty disciplined person, so I have the ability to continue to contribute to the Fund every year and just let it do its "thing" without interrupting it, trying to time the market, etc.
Which is it?

Old 08-26-2015, 04:20 PM

26,192 posts, read 21,595,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numberfive View Post
Looks like the same kind of investing you like to do:

Which is it?

Well that's interesting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing