Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:08 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,077,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
if you're a dollar-cost-average advocate, it shouldn't even cause you to blink.
I blinked. Just knocking myself for not dumping it when i was up 5 figures. Now I'm down 5 figures. Good thing I really don't need the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 11:31 PM

7,647 posts, read 8,716,940 times
I bought biotech mutual funds at the peak, just days before the crash, am I doomed?

Old 08-27-2015, 03:36 AM

242 posts, read 244,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssww View Post
I bought biotech mutual funds at the peak, just days before the crash, am I doomed?
As a huge biotech advocate, I will say yes if you need the money in the near future.

What did you buy if you don't mind me asking, FBIOX?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:04 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
How much of this volatility and profit taking could be tied to the 3rd year of a second term president's cycle?
Vs other issues like China's monetary and economic issues, the Fed's intention to raise rates and oil bottoming?

Articles in first of the year proposed historical evidence that 3rd yr of 2nd term is boosting stocks and 2nd yr of that term has worse record.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:33 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,087,365 times
Equity markets have risen to the current levels on the back of unprecedented liquidity moves by central banks around the world. They have done little to stimulate economic growth, create jobs, nor improve the plight of the "little guy".

Other than levitating stock prices, and making the already wealthy even more wealthy, the Quantitative Easing programs have had little tangible effect.

There are two schools of thought regarding whither equity prices from here:

1>) The Fed (and other Central Banks) will find new ways to create liquidity, and stock prices might continue their unprecedented rally.

2>) The market already knows what Central Bank printing produces, and even if there is more it , or it ceases/winds down, the reality of our economic condition may well set in and markets will continue to slide lower.

The "smart" professionals (NOT the knuckleheads on CNBC) believe we are at the beginning of a nasty bear market. What we have seen this week is just a little taste of the meal to come. You can cite China, Iran, Ukraine, Washington, Federal Deficits, the Fed, Korea, ISIS and a host of "known" issues which have not mattered...until now perhaps.

The bottom line is that there are plenty of reasons why the market 'could' sell off. These reasons have been around for some time. Sentiment...i.e., what matters, can change on a dime in the stock market. They don't ring a bell, and they don't make an announcement. A bear market wears you down: both bulls and bears, and is VERY hard to trade.

IF you are concerned, OP, now is a good time to become a little more defensive. There is never anything wrong with taking a profit, or cutting a loss and living to fight again another day. The worst thing you can do sometimes, if you are concerned, is to do nothing, and then look back with the "could have/should have". Once the money is gone, it is gone. Best to take steps to preserve what you have if you are nervous. If you believe all will resolve positively, and are comfortable if that turns out to be a bad assumption, then sit tight.

I can tell you that I run a short portfolio. I am always short, on balance. A few weeks ago I lifted the hedge, and luckily the markets came my way (down). On Tuesday afternoons puke (note we did NOT make new lows on Tuesday) I hedged once again, and took that hedge off again today into the rally, so that I am net short again. I expect tomorrow to be a nasty day, and many days ahead to be down days. If I am wrong......and I always assume I am/will be so as to protect my capital, I will hedge once again....and most importantly, live to fight again another day.

Most importantly? I have a plan. You should too.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:28 PM

472 posts, read 515,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
The "smart" professionals (NOT the knuckleheads on CNBC) believe we are at the beginning of a nasty bear market. What we have seen this week is just a little taste of the meal to come. You can cite China, Iran, Ukraine, Washington, Federal Deficits, the Fed, Korea, ISIS and a host of "known" issues which have not mattered...until now perhaps.
Nice post, Ted Bear.

Who are these "smart" professionals you're referring to?

Old 08-27-2015, 12:51 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Every month there is a "smart professional" that has called for the start of the next bear market, sigh...

Old 08-27-2015, 12:59 PM

7,647 posts, read 8,716,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarchand1981 View Post
As a huge biotech advocate, I will say yes if you need the money in the near future.

What did you buy if you don't mind me asking, FBIOX?
Yes.

Old 08-27-2015, 01:46 PM

7,458 posts, read 4,695,683 times
September is a bad month for stocks, or so the history would tell us. But then again, the dip/correction seemed to occur early this year in August. So who really knows? Wall Street's been bouncing up and down like in a pogo stick.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:18 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,653,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
September is a bad month for stocks, or so the history would tell us. But then again, the dip/correction seemed to occur early this year in August. So who really knows? Wall Street's been bouncing up and down like in a pogo stick.
I think the rollercoaster ride will continue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing