Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:42 AM

1,043 posts, read 899,492 times

Advertisements

I'm noticing a lot of chatter about the coming recession. Or whether we are actually currently in it.
I was too young to really experience the start of the last recession with respect to what was happening in the business world. Are there similar scenarios happening today as back then. What are experienced business-peoples thoughts?
Btw, this is not to be a doom and gloom post. Just looking for opinions.

Recession people are worried about is already here: Investor

The Recession Caused by Low Oil Prices - WSJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 11:03 AM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,979 times
He suggests TLT. I'm just curious, what is the lowest yield that the 20 year Treasury has ever gone down to? It's already at 2.3%. Imagine a catastrophic scenario where it goes down to 0.3%, a 40% capital gain.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:42 AM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
He suggests TLT. I'm just curious, what is the lowest yield that the 20 year Treasury has ever gone down to? It's already at 2.3%. Imagine a catastrophic scenario where it goes down to 0.3%, a 40% capital gain.

The 20 year contant maturity hasn't dipped below 2.5% much in the last 50-60 years

Old 01-10-2016, 12:42 PM

I also noticed that Jerry Brown has implemented budgetary changes for California for a possible coming recession.
This guy may be the best example of a fiscally conservative democrat... and I think others politicians should take note.
Who would have thought that California of all places would be more financially prepared than most states?

Jerry Brown warns of inevitable recession to chill spending ideas - San Francisco Chronicle

Old 01-10-2016, 12:55 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
It surely feels like it.

Old 01-10-2016, 01:45 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
It actually started several years ago. It has been hidden by unprecedented amount of money printing and astronomical world debt. Now countries everywhere are being buried by deflationary pressures caused by the massive overinvesting on the wrong areas of their economy (exactly the same as the Housing Bubble but much, much worse), and it is now being washed ashore. It won't be short. It won't be mild. And it won't be easily fixed. The only historical analogy is the Roaring 20s (similar type of distorted investment and stock market gambling environment) with the Great Depression that followed.

Whatever happens is baked in. The damage has been done and now we have to just wait and see how big the wave is that is coming ashore. Remember that it is the Bankers at the Fed that engineered it all.

Last edited by richrf; 01-10-2016 at 02:23 PM..

Old 01-10-2016, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
It actually started several years ago. It has been hidden by unprecedented amount of money printing and astronomical world debt. Note countries everywhere are being buried by deflationary pressures caused by the massive overinvesting on the wrong areas of their economy (exactly the same as the Housing Bubble but much, much worse), and ask of it is now being washed ashore. It won't be short. It won't be mild. And it won't be easily fixed. The only historical analogy is the Roaring 20s (similar type of distorted investment and stock market gambling environment) with the Great Depression that followed.

Whatever happens is baked in. The damage has been done and now we have to just wait and see how big the wave is that is coming ashore. Remember that it is the Bankers at the Fed that engineered it all.
The definition of a recession is a contraction of GDP for two consecutive quarters - we haven't had this and therefore have not been in a recession for the last 2 years.
Now if your analysis is that the policies to get us out of the last recession (i.e. Central Bank policies and QE) will end up causing another recession through huge debt bubbles than I would agree without a doubt.

Old 01-10-2016, 02:22 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,628,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
The definition of a recession is a contraction of GDP for two consecutive quarters - we haven't had this and therefore have not been in a recession for the last 2 years.
Now if your analysis is that the policies to get us out of the last recession (i.e. Central Bank policies and QE) will end up causing another recession through huge debt bubbles than I would agree without a doubt.
The problem is that for most people the last two years have felt like a recession and they keep their heads above water by taking on greater and greater debt. All the growth had gone to the top 1%. Government dictated definitions of debt are better classified as propaganda as opposed to any real life description of what people are experiencing.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:12 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
Yes base on my kids business. It started last year.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:14 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,951,108 times
I don't feel any recession, malls, restaurants, grocery stores are jam packed with people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing