Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2016, 08:21 AM

16,283 posts, read 10,427,990 times

Advertisements

Shocker a thread with this much ignorance appears this week with the market down the way it is. I'm not reading 7 pages of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 10:07 AM

4,231 posts, read 3,561,102 times
I agree on real estate.

It won't do you wonders but it is still the safest and simplest way to go for small investors.

Great post concept_fusion

Old 01-17-2016, 02:25 PM

18,116 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Safest way to go? Real Estate? And what guarantee is there the property value will rise? And if you need to sell the property how long will it take to sell? And if you have no desire at all to be a landlord or manage the property and deal with tenants, then what?

Old 01-17-2016, 02:38 PM

19,789 posts, read 22,695,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Stocks are making my small bank account grow into a big one. Definitely not just for people that have 10 million or more.
Exactly. This is the same opinion I heard 30 years ago (buy real estate, buy real estate), and I am most certainly glad I stuck to a balanced portfolio and investment strategy. The market has done me quite well over 30 years. Frankly I'm on target for a nice retirement. S.S. $ is just gravy to me now.

Also- having been involved in commercial finance for over 30 years, I can certainly attest that property ownership is not a panacea for wealth creation. I know quite a number of successful business persons primarily involved in real estate, however the best of them are also in construction or trades and can manage those assets. I've seen more small time property investors get their arses handed to them because they couldn't handle the management aspect.

Old 01-17-2016, 03:11 PM

748 posts, read 820,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Buffett didn't become one of the wealthiest men in history by investing in real estate or gold, fusion.

You can have the hard assets ... I'll stick with my substantial, and much more easily managed portfolio of funds and stocks...
Both have their merits. I believe in both actually (rather than just diversifying in stocks, diversify across asset classes into real estate).

But since you mention B, he has said the best investment he ever made was his house in Omaha. Having a great big stock portfolio definitely sounds like fun, but many can get more enjoyment out of living in and around your $ (real estate).

Old 01-17-2016, 03:19 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,930,620 times
Instead of real estate, why not own a REIT ETF?

Old 01-17-2016, 03:20 PM

18,116 posts, read 15,696,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
Instead of real estate, why not own a REIT ETF?
That's what I own, in addition to my own house.

Old 01-18-2016, 12:37 AM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Real estate is for the strong and the prosperous. Go tell that to the ranchers in Montana.

Some of us prefer what exists beyond the legal sphere of laws and digits on a computer screen. Hard assets. Oil. Timber. Gold. Silver. Real Estate. This country could cease to exist, but we would still have these things unless someone took them from us. A few misplaced papers, or an asset freeze by some judge and your assets go poof. Disappear because they never truly existed in the first place.
Real estate can be taken away, too, using a variety of means. It's not that far fetched.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K6CACOGdEM

Old 01-18-2016, 10:42 AM

6,764 posts, read 5,066,113 times
Quote:
Raising cash in a down market is far less likely if you own real estate than stocks.
My experience is exactly the opposite. Rents do not always increase, and it's painful to have negative cash flow on multiple properties. Illiqudity is not a benefit in this situation. Also, owning real estate becomes problematic if you have to move for a job. Stocks do not care where I live, and they never ask me to send in money so they can keep operating.

Quote:
Stock certificates simply aren't useful for anything beyond appreciation, if that occurs.
Well, most big companies pay dividends.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:59 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,598,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
people have different resources individually through life at different times . so how you buy an asset can't be part of the equation if you are comparing performance .

it is like no one ever gets the return of an index fund .

we all add money , sell , rebalance at different times as well as have different buy points so the how you aquire an asset can't be in the equation of comaring assets .
Yes it can, and it should, because you can't borrow on the same terms against a stock investment that you can on a house. There's no such thing as a 30-year fixed margin loan with zero margin call risk as long as payments are made on time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing