Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,375 times

Advertisements

Wed Feb 10, 2016 | 2:53 PM EST
Yellen - Fed not likely to reverse course on rates despite risks

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Tightening financial conditions and uncertainty over China pose risks to the U.S. recovery, but chances are slim the Federal Reserve will reverse the rate tightening cycle it began in December, Fed Chair Janet Yellen told U.S. lawmakers on Wednesday.

It's over!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:28 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,321 times
Exactly!!!

Only thing they can brag about is FED.

Without it they're dead in the water.

Pathetic!!!!

Old 02-10-2016, 01:28 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
This is why people like you have been burnt by the market and now full of hatred for it...

You should be a bull in a bull market and a bear in a bear market. You make it sound like anyone who is a bull will forever be a bull. I was a bull during this bull market and have made a ton of money from it. I've been in the neutral zone for awhile now, but am leaning toward this turning into a true bear market. However, until it happens, I will choose my positions very wisely. People like you love to come up with all sorts of reasons why the market should be rallying or shouldn't be rallying, in reality, all that matters is how you can make money from it. Learn that and maybe you won't be so bitter.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:37 PM

940 posts, read 968,877 times
The Fed is raising rates because they feel the economy is on solid footing.

Why is 'the market' responding negatively to this news? I feel like I'm in some alternate world where good news is bad and bad news is good (for the stock market).

Old 02-10-2016, 01:47 PM

106,653 posts, read 108,790,719 times
The markets feel the fed is putting to much stock in the unemployment rate and not enough weight in to the general economic condition of us and the world.

Raising rates will drain money out of the pockets of americans for higher mortgages,credit card debt ,student loans and car loans that could potentially have been spent on other goods and services since wage growth sucks.

For an economy that counts on consumer spending for 70% of gdp that is not a good thing

Old 02-10-2016, 02:01 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,075,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
The Fed is raising rates because they feel the economy is on solid footing.

Why is 'the market' responding negatively to this news? I feel like I'm in some alternate world where good news is bad and bad news is good (for the stock market).

The Fed boxed themselves into a corner with too much rhetoric about raising rates. The market gave them a window a couple years back, and they blew it by not raising. Now they "had" to hike, or look really quite foolish. (not that they don't look like they are lost in any event).

Now they are raising into a slowing economy, when they should be doing exactly the opposite. The economic news is horrible, both here and abroad (Japan just went to NEGATIVE interest rates). Don't look at the jobs numbers, the Feb has already said they are unreliable (check the record). Real unemployment is in the teens, growth is anemic or less, and consumers are dead in the water (look at Xmas sales...or the lack of them).

The stock market has figured it out. And yes, we are in a bear market. No new high after the September bottom, and subsequently lower highs, and lower lows. Follow the money...and it is leaving stocks.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:19 PM

Except following the money flows show investors are wrong.
That is why investors always fail to even get the returns the funds they were in got.

Just look at morningstars investor returns tracking money flow , investors as a group end up wrong over and over.

The story always repeats itself over and over as things not even on the radar yet alter what they thought was a given

Old 02-10-2016, 02:46 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,926,321 times
I don't think the question is whether we are in a bear market or not. We are. The ACWI is. Only the S&P and DJIA are yet to get there thanks to those stupid FANGs. The question is: What will make it end? And when will that occur?

Old 02-10-2016, 02:55 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,742,532 times
The same story...things look & things look good...the bad...China..Oil...rates...the good..China...Oil...rates

Old 02-10-2016, 03:51 PM

If that happens most of you will likely see your income cut in half too or worse no job. This country would slide in to depression.

With 70% of gdp dependent on consumer spending do you really think folks will be spending much when they lost half their net worth.

We already almost had that happen in 2008 . If assets did not start to snap back we would have just spiraled down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing