Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:58 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,928,035 times

Advertisements

I learned the hard way in the 1987 'crash' and earlier in the 70's that I was not smart enough to predict the bottom (or the top). From that, I got smart enough to stop trying ... and thus, did much better remaining steady over the long haul, t
than if I had specialized in trying to make 'big splashes.'

IMO, those who are always trying to get rich quick, are the same ones who often get poor quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 02:05 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,161,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I learned the hard way in the 1987 'crash' and earlier in the 70's that I was not smart enough to predict the bottom (or the top). .......
For a long term investor, it is not at all necessary to be able to predict the bottom or top. Buying near the bottom, even if the market continues to drop, is better than buying at the top. Selling when the market is high, even if it goes higher, is better than selling when it is low.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:22 PM

7,732 posts, read 8,836,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
For a long term investor, it is not at all necessary to be able to predict the bottom or top. Buying near the bottom, even if the market continues to drop, is better than buying at the top. Selling when the market is high, even if it goes higher, is better than selling when it is low.
So it means it's good to always keep some cash just in case a low comes?

Old 10-04-2016, 02:36 PM

13,773 posts, read 9,875,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
But is this really "long term"? I invest for vanity, not for funding my retirement or even for making charitable contributions while I'm alive. The objective is to maximize net-worth upon death. This implies, for me personally, to NEVER sell. Never. This of course refers to index funds - not individual stocks.

A conversation some years ago, with my chipper amiable "representative" at Vanguard. Rep: "What is your investment horizon"? Me: "infinite". Rep: "Well, come on now; we all have life-goals; Is it 20 years? 50 years?" Me: "No, it's infinite". Rep: "75 years"? Me: "What part of infinity do you not understand? The sun will cease shining in something like 4.5 billion years. I want my portfolio to endure longer than that".

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
This makes sense in an oscillatory market. And by this I mean a market that makes essentially no cumulative progress over decades, but which is prone to 10% "corrections" every few months. Sound familiar? Since December 2014, an "investor" would have done better darting in and out, staying in cash until seeing another 8%-10% drop, and then going all in. But that takes wisdom, implacable nerves, and fantastically good luck. I lack all three. I keep cash on the side, for self-amusement purposes. But otherwise I remain fully invested, perpetually. Whether one personally feels comfortable with that strategy is of course another matter entirely.

Old 10-04-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
And to handle emergencies. And for me to fund my retirement expenses if the markets are down for a considerable period of time.

Also I carry 30-50% in bonds and shift investments between asset classes based on trends.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:38 PM

18,626 posts, read 16,068,241 times
I never put it all into the market; I need monies for other things plus I want to keep some for buying opportunities now that I'm actually aware of investing and look at what the market is doing each week.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:10 PM

7,732 posts, read 8,836,006 times
Thanks for the comments. Just to remind, in my op I said to exclude the cash you need for daily spending and emergency. I'm only talking about the cash that you use for investing, sooner or later. No one should put the cash that they need for everyday use or emergency into the stock market.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the comments. Just to remind, in my op I said to exclude the cash you need for daily spending and emergency. I'm only talking about the cash that you use for investing, sooner or later. No one should put the cash that they need for everyday use or emergency into the stock market.
Since you have decided you are in charge of all the rules, I would like to ask a few questions. What do you mean when you want to exclude "daily spending"? Do you literally mean an amount that is to be spent on one day? I suspect you are actually thinking about something bigger. For a working person that might be enough to cover expenses in event of a job loss. How much, 6 months, a year or longer? What sort of emergencies? I just found out I need to spend close to $20K on a new roof. Is that an emergency I should have cash to cover? I am retired. Eventually I will spend all of my assets on "daily spending". How much do I need to exclude?

Let me ask about cash and money excluded from "the stock market". Do you want us to exclude bonds, real estate and/or gold? What about cash? Is that just paper currency? Money in the bank? CD or money market funds? What about highly liquid assets such as very short term bond funds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing