Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 09:11 PM

5,303 posts, read 5,281,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corevo View Post
Is there any significance to it being a 2016 Roth IRA, other than losing a year of earning potential if I waited until 2017?

I had planned on not opening a Roth IRA and was going to use my employer's 401k plan instead because they match 50% of contributions up to 6%.
If you invest in a 2016 Roth IRA before Apr 15, you can also invest in a 2017 Roth Ira this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2017, 09:11 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,564,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corevo View Post
Is there any significance to it being a 2016 Roth IRA, other than losing a year of earning potential if I waited until 2017?

I had planned on not opening a Roth IRA and was going to use my employer's 401k plan instead because they match 50% of contributions up to 6%.
Well you should most definitely do both. Because you don't have a large emergency fund right now, use the Roth IRA as a savings account of sorts. You lose the ability to fund it for 2016 in April.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:22 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,564,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkin View Post
Typically student loans are around 6% interest rate. That means the invest have to make 8% in a taxable account to break even. No investment can guarantee 8% returns.
Then you have to figure out what your time is worth, what your headache, labor, and research is worth.
For me it's better to pay off a 6% student loan account than the hassle of making 9% investment.
If your rate is 4.5%, then it will need to gain 7% in a taxable account to even deal with it.
This IMO is a common fallacy and a fools way of thinking about investment returns and interest.

First and foremost I agree if you have a very large % debt outstanding it's probably better to pay that off first. IMO that would be >10%-20% range on a fairly large balance.

Second keep in mind the length of time that $5,500 will be invested. At a paltry 7% average return on that $5,500, over 40 years (when the OP turns 65) that $5,500 would have grown to $82,000 tax free (Roth IRA) without adding anything to it. Will the OP pay almost $80,000 in interest in the payment of his (relatively) low loan amounts? Hardly.

This is why it's so crucially important to stuff as much money as you can away early on in ones career, especially into the low contribution limit retirement accounts such as IRAs.

It's conceivable that if people start to fully fund Roth IRAs when they start working at the age of 16, they could secure their retirement by just contributing the annual $5,500 limit. Which is crazy to think about. No more playing catch up. If only I could have gone back in time.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:29 PM

2,170 posts, read 1,977,839 times
Keep in mind that student loan interest is a tax write-off with a limit of $2,500 per year. You're rates are very low so I don't think you'd have anything higher, but if you do maybe consider paying down enough so that you're under that threshold and getting the full writeoff.

Other than that, I'd say build an emergency fund then start investing like crazy.

Old 01-23-2017, 03:33 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,849,342 times
I paid cash for my first house not long after graduating from college with nearly 50K in debt. You can't eat a paid off student loan, and you can't stay warm and dry with a paid off student loan. I say invest in something that provides for you FIRST. I had nowhere to go since I've been on my own since 18 as such I made sure I always have a place to live.

Old 01-24-2017, 02:56 PM

3,962 posts, read 6,909,072 times
The route I chose was to pay them off ASAP. I actually had an investment that did really well and I was able to use that money to pay for it in full. I would rather have a guaranteed 6.8% interest than the risk that money in the stock market. I also made too much money for the Student Loan interest to be a write-off.

Now that it's paid off I have built an emergency fund and since bought a condo. In my opinion, getting rid of debt is my first priority. Student loan debt is not forgivable in bankruptcy so that plays a huge role in my decision to tackle it first. Depending on how stable your career is, you might consider paying it off sooner rather than waiting. I had no threats towards my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing