Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2018, 02:42 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,606,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy64 View Post
…and my Real Estate just continues to cruise with zero turbulence.

Such a peaceful ride

I think you've confused real estate investing with buying CDs. Left coast is riding a nice long wave. Call it great location on increasing value combined with 30 years of declining interest rates. Lots of dual employed standard credit borrowers. Low forced sales. No liquidity crisis.

It's been nice....don't confuse it with forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 02:43 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the time to have done that was 4 months ago . now "good investor behavior " is about rebalancing in to stocks not running away . but you have to do what makes you comfortable even if it is bad investor behavior.
I think the stock market will get worse so I actually think moving into bond funds is a wise move even at this late point. I've seen several more big dips since I moved money into bonds. We had another big dip today. I think things will get worse before they improve. Jack Bogle said a rough time is ahead.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 12-28-2018 at 02:59 PM..

Old 12-28-2018, 07:46 PM

18,111 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
We had another big dip today.
We did?

DJIA: -.33%

Nasdaq: +.08%

S&P500: -.12%

Old 12-28-2018, 07:48 PM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
We did?

DJIA: -.33%

Nasdaq: +.08%

S&P500: -.12%
they can always wish

Old 12-29-2018, 03:13 AM

106,714 posts, read 108,913,061 times
you know if they went to cash they are hoping everyone else gets burned just as much as those who stayed the course hope they get left behind

Old 12-29-2018, 08:43 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think the stock market will get worse so I actually think moving into bond funds is a wise move even at this late point. I've seen several more big dips since I moved money into bonds.
What "bonds" do you move into? I have tried several bond funds over the years, in my retirement accounts, and not one made a dime. If I consider inflation, they all lost value. I've given up on them.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:53 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,334,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
What "bonds" do you move into? I have tried several bond funds over the years, in my retirement accounts, and not one made a dime. If I consider inflation, they all lost value. I've given up on them.
Have you considered using bond funds to build a passive stream of income rather than looking at it from the "buy-low, sell-high" viewpoint?

As the Fed Funds Rate goes up, bond funds will be replacing the lower-interest bonds that they currently hold with higher-interest bonds being issued. The price of the bond funds will go up therefore, but don't worry about the price. Think of it as building a stream of monthly income that you can live off in retirement.

My passive portfolio paid me over $1,400/month in 2018. (It was only $250/month in 2009.) By the time I retire, I expect to be getting around $2,000/month in passive income from my mix of dividend-paying stocks, bond funds, and REITs which will go along nicely with my pension and SS. And that will be achieved by not selling anything, thus, no need for another stock market runup.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I think you've confused real estate investing with buying CDs. Left coast is riding a nice long wave. Call it great location on increasing value combined with 30 years of declining interest rates. Lots of dual employed standard credit borrowers. Low forced sales. No liquidity crisis.

It's been nice....don't confuse it with forever.
Please don't confuse investing with trading. One can have a portfolio of real estate that provides a passive income stream without having to worry about the price moves.

Traders need a market to keep moving up in price and someone to buy them out at a higher price to make money.

Investors can make money by renting out their property and it does not require a market run up in price or a buyer willing to pay a higher price.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:03 AM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Have you considered using bond funds to build a passive stream of income rather than looking at it from the "buy-low, sell-high" viewpoint?

As the Fed Funds Rate goes up, bond funds will be replacing the lower-interest bonds that they currently hold with higher-interest bonds being issued. The price of the bond funds will go up therefore, but don't worry about the price. Think of it as building a stream of monthly income that you can live off in retirement.

My passive portfolio paid me over $1,400/month in 2018. (It was only $250/month in 2009.) By the time I retire, I expect to be getting around $2,000/month in passive income from my mix of dividend-paying stocks, bond funds, and REITs which will go along nicely with my pension and SS. And that will be achieved by not selling anything, thus, no need for another stock market runup.
I'm not looking at it from a "buy-low, sell-high" viewpoint. Each of these funds were held for several years.
I'm looking at it from a "I would have done better to put the money in a savings account" viewpoint.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I'm not looking at it from a "buy-low, sell-high" viewpoint. Each of these funds were held for several years.
I'm looking at it from a "I would have done better to put the money in a CD" viewpoint.
What kind of monthly income were you getting from the bond funds?

Compare that with the monthly income you would have been getting from a CD with the same initial investment.

You don't have to sell your bond funds at a low price if they are giving monthly income (or quarterly income divided by three). Add up the monthly or quarterly income for the entire year and divide by your initial investment. Is that percentage higher or lower than what the CD would have paid?

My bond funds are paying me between 5% and 8% on an annual basis. Where does one find CDs paying that these days?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing