Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 06:23 AM

2,478 posts, read 1,549,473 times

Advertisements

Overstock, Expedia, Newegg, are just a few companies that accept Bitcoin as payment. I believe this is taking off right now and appreciate your efforts, OP, in introducing the topic. I'm in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 07:56 AM

4,003 posts, read 6,098,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Overstock, Expedia, Newegg, are just a few companies that accept Bitcoin as payment. I believe this is taking off right now and appreciate your efforts, OP, in introducing the topic. I'm in.
Yeah I recently read an interview where the CEO of overstock said it's insane that more companies aren't accepting Bitcoin.

What I actually found to be somewhat surprising was intially for the first few months to a year after beginning to accept Bitcoin they cashed out 50% and kept 50% in Bitcoin. That's pretty balsy for a big company and shows how much they believe in it.

Today they are cashing out 90% and keeping 10% which is still pretty big as there's still obviously a lot of volatility.

I think people often get hungup on is Bitcoin technically speaking a currency. Who really cares, it doesn't matter, it is what it is. While it's not a fiat currency and not a currency of a government it is a store of a value and a way of transacting for goods and services which is essentially the purpose of a currency.

In my view it doesn't really matter if Bitcoin becomes the way we buy our morning coffee, quite frankly I won't use it for that. Currently transaction times are too long to make it good for something like that. There's nothing Bitcoin can do that is better than a crdit card or cash in terms of morning coffee but it does have other purposes and utlities. I think its fine for ecommerce as there's no chargebacks and cuts down on fees. It's a way to store value and a way to transfer large sums of money without any headaches or redtape or high fees.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM

13,650 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I think wells point above wasn't really arguing whether it was a currency or not he was basically alluding to it being made up play money that's not going to go anywhere

... I view Bitcoin more as gold or a store of value....
A storehouse of value has a venerable history and historical acceptance. Gold qualifies, even if gold has limited practical utility and thus limited intrinsic value. Perhaps in a few centuries, Bitcoin will become the new gold - an abstraction that transcends national treasuries and which therefore becomes a de facto means of exchange, say in person-to-person trade. For the time being, I am inclined to regard Bitcoin very much as something evanescent and baseless. But to reiterate, even something evanescent and baseless can be used by clever speculators to make lots of real money; the caveat is that lots of other people, thinking of themselves as being clever, end up being rather less so.

One indicator of Bitcoin’s suspect essence, is its wild gyrations in “exchange rate” to established currencies. To be sure, gold also has a history of wild gyrations, but these tend to be related either to tumultuous political upheavals, spikes in interest rates or other economic calamities. In effect, by sharply rising or falling in dollars, it’s the gold that stays stable, while the dollars themselves fluctuation. Well, Bitcoin’s fluctuations don’t appear to have any connection to politics or the economy. They just fluctuation with speculation, and thus I conclude that Bitcoin is not a “store of value”.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:11 AM

1,353 posts, read 788,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
Cryptocurrencies are snake oil. Caveat emptor.
No, just a sophisticated SCAM!

Old 07-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maple47 View Post
No, just a sophisticated SCAM!
Maple, honestly youve added 0 to this conversation. If your going to make a statement like this at least provide your reasoning for thinking so, otherwise you may as well not post anything

Old 07-26-2017, 10:47 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,238 times
Quote:
Maple, honestly youve added 0 to this conversation. If your going to make a statement like this at least provide your reasoning for thinking so, otherwise you may as well not post anything
Drive-by's are fun.

I love the smell of burned rubber in the morning.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtheftV View Post
Drive-by's are fun.

I love the smell of burned rubber in the morning.
I'll be the first one to admit cryptocurrencies are risky, they aren't for everyone, and honestly if someone doesn't have an interest in that space and believe in the technology or at the very least isn't willing to take a little bit of time to educate yourself on cryptos it's probably not for you.

That said I think it's unfair for people who aren't in the space and know nothing about it aside from seeing Bitcoin mentioned in a forbes article to make statements saying it's a scam or anything else. I think they are doing a disservice to people who are on the fence and curious and investigating it for themselves.

If someone does think it's a scam or wants to say it's a scam follow it up with some evidence or at the very least the thought process. Is the code flawed? Have too many exchanges been hacked and you don't trust it? It's too volatile, whatever but at least backup your argument with your thought process otherwise why even post

Old 07-26-2017, 01:39 PM

Google "blockchain" technologies. Every major banking house in the world will be using it in the near future. The question is which currency. Bitcoin has the highest volume. Ethereum has the blockchain technology that some of the biggest companies are adapting as we speak. Personally, I'm in, but will wait until the fork on 8/21. I'll buy and hold as best I can.

Old 07-26-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Google "blockchain" technologies. Every major banking house in the world will be using it in the near future. The question is which currency. Bitcoin has the highest volume. Ethereum has the blockchain technology that some of the biggest companies are adapting as we speak. Personally, I'm in, but will wait until the fork on 8/21. I'll buy and hold as best I can.
It seems the fork is going to be a non issue however despite having no support from the community it looks like that side of miners and what have you may go rogue and fork anyway. That said Coinbase has long said they won't support it, Electrum who was going to support it says it's not a secure technology and they won't support it and while I'm far from techy enough to understand this, it seems like even if people tried to play both chains to sell off the Bitcoin Cash or Bitcoin Unlimited your putting your real Bitcoins at risk of a replay attack so while I had moved my coins into a Trezor in anticipation of it happening I don't even think I'm going to bother collecting my alt coin if/when it splits

Old 07-26-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
It seems the fork is going to be a non issue however despite having no support from the community it looks like that side of miners and what have you may go rogue and fork anyway. That said Coinbase has long said they won't support it, Electrum who was going to support it says it's not a secure technology and they won't support it and while I'm far from techy enough to understand this, it seems like even if people tried to play both chains to sell off the Bitcoin Cash or Bitcoin Unlimited your putting your real Bitcoins at risk of a replay attack so while I had moved my coins into a Trezor in anticipation of it happening I don't even think I'm going to bother collecting my alt coin if/when it splits
Yeah, I was wondering what you were going to do about the fork. I'm a buy and hold guy, so I'll just wait and get ready to buy before the $&@ hits the fan. Hopefully I won't be too late to the party. Either way, win-win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing