Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did you buy cryptocurrencies?
Speculation - hope to sell them to the next high bidder. 69 50.00%
It’s a true currency. 9 6.52%
It’s a store of value. 31 22.46%
I don’t know. 29 21.01%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 09:57 AM

2,612 posts, read 930,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Okay your long term hodl/short term thing I talked about many pages back. But for the bolded, so people should let their portfolios just drop by 40%+ instead of tethering up before a bear market? That's how you don't make money.
Are you able to predict when the bear market begins and ends? I am not so experience with crypto but when it comes to the stock market; more money is lost sitting on the sidelines expecting a bear market than is lost in the actual bear market. Can you please explain to me how this plays out differently when it comes to crypto?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2021, 10:28 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyaleWithCheese View Post
Are you able to predict when the bear market begins and ends? I am not so experience with crypto but when it comes to the stock market; more money is lost sitting on the sidelines expecting a bear market than is lost in the actual bear market. Can you please explain to me how this plays out differently when it comes to crypto?
Crypto cycles are strongly correlated with bitcoin halving events. Usually about 15-18 months after a BTC halving the token reaches unprecedented ATHs before tanking in price leading up to the next halving event. Here's an article that can help you understand more: https://www.investopedia.com/bitcoin-halving-4843769

Old 10-28-2021, 10:49 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
Lol thanks but dont get me wrong the end game is clear to me. After a lot of people make money off memes and crypto as a whole rises the elites will crash it with no survivors. This will upset people who will demand more crypto regulation as the great reset is ushered in. More widespread UBI will also be introduced. Then thpse fundamental coins will rise up again as the new way of doing things requires them.
This is why I can't get behind meme coins, I'm in this to change the world. Making money is a byproduct.

Old 10-28-2021, 11:20 AM

2,612 posts, read 930,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
This is why I can't get behind meme coins, I'm in this to change the world. Making money is a byproduct.
It is nice to be able to do both. I view crytpocurrency as a way to detach currency from government control and ultimately end national governments. That probably wont happen so the number one priority is me making money.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:08 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,217,313 times
Quote:
It is nice to be able to do both. I view crytpocurrency as a way to detach currency from government control and ultimately end national governments. That probably wont happen so the number one priority is me making money.
I understand.

But for me it is the same reason I never get involved in MLMs, even if I know I'm early. I just don't like knowing that the only way I win is if others are dumped on.

Old 10-28-2021, 01:38 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
I understand.

But for me it is the same reason I never get involved in MLMs, even if I know I'm early. I just don't like knowing that the only way I win is if others are dumped on.
So you're basically saying don't ever sell and live off staking, if you even have enough coins to do this?

Look people want financial independency and if that involves selling large percentages of their portfolio then so be it. Happens in markets everyday across the world but especially here in America. People did this with Shib in May and are living large, and Shib has doubled in price since then (just one example I can use here). Point is that it's all relative.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:16 PM

1,969 posts, read 676,569 times
Quote:
It can happen with Bitcoin but we need to build some privacy methods into it or it won't work. Pseudonymous is not private enough for private wallets. Public wallets should be open though.

Old 10-28-2021, 04:21 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
effectively your cost basis is the same on your early purchases . when you add you really are adding additional at a higher cost .

in fact with stocks you can choose the cost basis you want to use if you sell ,.

if you choose average cost then yeah your cost basis will be higher but on more shares and the current buy will have a lower average then you actually paid
Crypto tax reporting software can't do average cost yet.

I suppose this will help clarify things:

I put $10k into VET once in 2020 and have not bought anymore. Since I am not continuously buying my cost basis is still $0.01

Old 10-28-2021, 04:28 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,889,690 times
Quote:
Okay your long term hodl/short term thing I talked about many pages back. But for the bolded, so people should let their portfolios just drop by 40%+ instead of tethering up before a bear market? That's how you don't make money.
Yes, just like they HODL stocks or real estate.

Let's say you didn't take my approach and you DCAed in with average cost basis of $0.05 cumulative for a $10k VET investment. If you sell all and the bear bottom is $0.10 you are still losing potential future earnings unnecessarily because you paid cap gains and now your cost basis is 2x higher.

And what happens if _____ project gets a major endorsement and the price floor unexpectedly moves to $0.50 even in a bear market? That's the upside risk you run with utility projects which aren't dependent upon Bitcoin runoff funds for their value.

Ask yourself do you believe in this industry or do you believe in F500s. I work in F500s and my POV is I put my money in hyper-technologization over dysfunctional F500s any day.

I sold my company stock for Bitcoin in 2019 and guess even at $30k BTC what's worth more

With the Fed tightening - the stock market needs to correct by 50% to achieve fair value. So why are people panicking about a 50% correction in a Crypto Bear Market? Double standards....

Old 10-28-2021, 10:14 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,718,910 times
I've been weekly trading Shib making about $1-2k in just 2 days with just $700-1500. It's too easy to buy on the dip watching the candles then wait for some momentum to begin. The other day, had I held out another day my profit would be $3.5k. This is too easy but I know one day any day trader will get over leveraged so I'm doing this each month just to pay for the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing