Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2017, 01:00 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,047,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
I believe the government says inflation is 2% per year, this year I think 2.93%, however I hear many people say in reality it's much closer to 5% per year, 5% over 10 years is 50%.
5% over 10 years is more like 63%. compounded. And no, overall consumer prices have not gone up 63% since 2007.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2017, 01:02 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,572 times
He mentions "intrinsic value".

Def:
An intrinsic theory of value (also called theory of objective value) is a theory of value in economics which holds that the value of an object, good or service, is intrinsic, meaning that it can be estimated using objective measures. Most such theories look to the process of producing an item, and the costs involved in that process, as a measure of the item's intrinsic value.

I find that theory to be totally rubbish.
For example, Art.
Here is "Bicycle Wheel" by Marcel DuChamp.
It's literally a bicycle fork and wheel, installed onto the top of common stool.
Probably cost about $30 and a hour to create.
Sold for $1,762,500 at auction.

Subjective theory of value is more relevant.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:08 PM

1,221 posts, read 1,047,534 times
Quote:
Bitcoin was intended to be a currency and a payment platform, that's groundbreaking. Unfortunately as some people have pointed out it's doing a very poor job of that and that's the biggest challenge to Bitcoin right now.

That said I could steal your gold, the government could confiscate your gold, you can't send gold across the world, gold isn't that easy to divide into smaller pieces for your average person.

Bitcoin is divisible, I can send it across the world without having to physically ship it, and if I control my private keys the government can't take it from me, a divorce lawyer can't force a court to take it from me, you can't steal it from me if I protect it properly.

Your right, Bitcoin is better than gold

A divorce lawyer can hire a forensic accountant to dissect the expenditures, and voila, there's that $15k bitcoin transaction that they'll gladly factor into your settlement with the ex spouse!

Old 12-28-2017, 01:12 PM

1,285 posts, read 591,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
A divorce lawyer can hire a forensic accountant to dissect the expenditures, and voila, there's that $15k bitcoin transaction that they'll gladly factor into your settlement with the ex spouse!
They probably can make a case, but a good lawyer could probably fight it.
At the end of the day a court cannot compel the surrendering of the property (bitcoin) as the court has no jursidiction to compel the blockchain to do anything.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:22 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,096,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
So what I’m hearing is you completely fabricated something to try and support bitcoin? Well that’s cool and all it’s just that it’s bs
Many economists make an argument true inflation is 5%, that's not making up anything and the lack of inflation is only one of the many benefits of Bitcoin, nothing is made up. A government report states inflation is 2.93%, the gpovernment I would imagine would like it to seem as low as possible so its not that crazy to believe the true inflation rate is slightly higher than that.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:22 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
Probably cost about $30 and a hour to create.
Sold for $1,762,500 at auction.
I'm definitely in the wrong line of work!

Old 12-28-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Well since bitcoin is expensive to send breaking it into smaller pieces is a bit prohibitive isn’t it?

So a pro for bitcoin is now illegally hiding assets during divorce? Well I guess between that and fabricating inflation figures for the USD you can’t stick with just positive things to support it? You might turn over private keys if it prevents you from going to jail or is what will get you out of jail
Oops I lost them, or someoen stole my seed. Prove it didn't happen

Old 12-28-2017, 01:24 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman0war View Post
They probably can make a case, but a good lawyer could probably fight it.
At the end of the day a court cannot compel the surrendering of the property (bitcoin) as the court has no jursidiction to compel the blockchain to do anything.
I’m not sure how much experience you’ve had with divorce law but they don’t need you to turn over said bitcoins. If they value it at 50k they can simply offset it elsewhere or if there is nothing else you could go to jail or see wage garnishment until you’ve met the court order.

Old 12-28-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
In addition you cannot be stopped from participating. You do not need anyone’s approval or permission to use it. The software is open source, free, run by numerous individuals all over the world across all jurisdictions. The network is essentially unstoppable, the concepts and ideas have been released to the world and cannot be taken back.
Great video on how the poor are locked out of traditional banking and taken advantage of by check cashing places, prepaid debit cards, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTd9Z2nCjM0

Old 12-28-2017, 01:25 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,574,273 times
Quote:
Many economists make an argument true inflation is 5%, that's not making up anything and the lack of inflation is only one of the many benefits of Bitcoin, nothing is made up. A government report states inflation is 2.93%, the gpovernment I would imagine would like it to seem as low as possible so its not that crazy to believe the true inflation rate is slightly higher than that.
You stated something as a fact that you can’t supoort. Many economist? Some people? The vagueness needed to hide your absurd claim is overwhelming me at the moment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing