Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 08:53 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,342,524 times

Advertisements

If you were to create a list of 10-20 Blue Chip type companies that you would suggest to an average investor who wants to buy for long term gains and holdings, what companies would make your list? Add in reasons why as well if you'd like (further growth, current low valuation, high paying dividend).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 AM

27,606 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Personally, I would not own any individual stocks for the long term. Inevitably, there will be a market downturn during which those stocks will crash faster than the market as a whole.

Your commission payments will also go up trying to sell all those stocks. Why deal with that headache?

Old 02-01-2018, 09:55 AM

106,786 posts, read 109,020,929 times
i 2nd that . just look at those dividend aristocrat's . you know the ones that delivered the goods for decades . you would get dizzy trading as that list kept changing over the years as many failed to live up to that expectation.

in 2009 there were 52 stocks that met the group’s strict criteria.

As of 2012, there were 51.

But of those 51, 13 were different than the original set. So over the course of just 3 years, there was a 27% change in the group’s composition.

in fact going back to 1989's list :

Of those 26, seven are still on the list today, ten were removed because they either cut or froze their dividend, four were removed for an unknown reason, and the remainder were aquired at some point. So at least ten of the 26 had an outcome that is different from the assumption of dividend growth every year through thick and thin.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:06 AM

13,080 posts, read 7,537,409 times
3rd .
Why would you buy at the peak of their pricing value?

Old 02-01-2018, 03:53 PM

5,484 posts, read 6,324,126 times
Here's a list to start with:

APPL, BAC, BRK-B, CMI, DE, DEO, DIS, FDX, GD, HAS, HD, HNW, JNJ, JPM, MC, MCD, MKL, MMM, MO, NKE, NSC, PH, PM, SBUX, SNA, T, TRV, UL, UNP, UPS, and V.

Pretty much my entire watch list. It's MOSTLY free of things like REITS, utilities, energy and materials, pharma and healthcare, and tech stocks on purpose. It's a starting point of blue or near blue chip stocks to look at. Most, but not all, pay solid dividends, and I am NOT saying that they are all good buys right now.

Good luck.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
3rd .
Why would you buy at the peak of their pricing value?
I wasn’t meaning specifically buying at this time but a list of reference for companies who are worth looking long when stock prices drop and you view their valuation from that point as promising.

My uncle references buying many shares of Johnson and Johnson and Apple over many decades. In a sense always tracking these companies and adding to his position on a downturn. Over many decades he says this has worked out very well in his favor. He sells off some of his position from time to time for profit, before directing more capital back to these stocks when their value declines.

Old 02-01-2018, 05:26 PM

27,606 posts, read 28,714,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog_5 View Post
I wasn’t meaning specifically buying at this time but a list of reference for companies who are worth looking long when stock prices drop and you view their valuation from that point as promising.

My uncle references buying many shares of Johnson and Johnson and Apple over many decades. In a sense always tracking these companies and adding to his position on a downturn. Over many decades he says this has worked out very well in his favor. He sells off some of his position from time to time for profit, before directing more capital back to these stocks when their value declines.
It is risky. Individual companies do go under, no matter how reputable. I don’t recommend putting all of your eggs in one basket.

You may lose all of your hard-earned money.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:29 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,098,670 times
Quote:

What he was essentially doing is call dollar cost averaging except with individual stocks. As I read this it tells me that he was keeping a cash reserve to be ready for a buy when a particular stock hit a dip.

Old 02-02-2018, 04:33 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,302,617 times
Quote:
If you were to create a list of 10-20 Blue Chip type companies that you would suggest to an average investor who wants to buy for long term gains and holdings, what companies would make your list? Add in reasons why as well if you'd like (further growth, current low valuation, high paying dividend).
IBM -- a blue chip stalwart with their hands in everything high tech, and paying a good dividend

UPS - especially after yesterday's plunge. If it gets back a bit lower it is a huge buy

CSCO - see IBM comment

Anything defense related, in this crazy world. I have RTN but any of the big boys are solid, solid bets right now.

Old 02-02-2018, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
Here's a list to start with:

APPL, BAC, BRK-B, CMI, DE, DEO, DIS, FDX, GD, HAS, HD, HNW, JNJ, JPM, MC, MCD, MKL, MMM, MO, NKE, NSC, PH, PM, SBUX, SNA, T, TRV, UL, UNP, UPS, and V.

Pretty much my entire watch list. It's MOSTLY free of things like REITS, utilities, energy and materials, pharma and healthcare, and tech stocks on purpose. It's a starting point of blue or near blue chip stocks to look at. Most, but not all, pay solid dividends, and I am NOT saying that they are all good buys right now.

Good luck.
Thanks for the response. Good list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing