Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 07:37 PM

604 posts, read 846,893 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for the best Fidelity Fund for a 10K investment for a person (not me) who will be retiring in about 5 years? I guess I could put it all in the FMANDI Income model. But I am wondering if I should move the account to Vanguard and put it all in Vanguard Wellington. The Fidelity Funds all have higher expense ratios than Vanguard.

I'm trying to learn as much as I can about investments, but it takes awhile to absorb all of the information I'm taking in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 07:42 PM

2,756 posts, read 4,437,980 times
Why not keep it simple. It sounds like you aren't very experienced.

Vanguard for low fees.

Consider their Target Retirement fund, for the year you are planning to retire.

Simple, low fees. You are close to retirement so you should be minimizing your risk.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun..._redirect=true

And maybe wait to buy until the market is semi stable for at least.... a few days!!! Or even better, weeks....

Old 02-10-2018, 07:45 PM

31,698 posts, read 41,173,953 times
They are two very different allocation structures. I am invested in both one pre tax and the other after tax. At this point in the market is five years a long enough time horizon to be starting out with Wellington. This is new money going in so any significant losses will during the first few years be becoming from the original seed money. When you have had the investments for a long period of time your losses are really just house money or previous gains and not your original investment. That in the mind of some |(including me|) can make a difference.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:05 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,694,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
At this point in the market is five years a long enough time horizon to be starting out with Wellington. This is new money going in so any significant losses will during the first few years be becoming from the original seed money.
That's what I think, too. For that short a time frame, VWELX may be too aggressive. Take a look at these:
Quote:
Taxable Bond Flows a Mix of Active and Passive
Fund flows were positive for taxable bond funds, and they were divided almost equally between active and passive, Lamy said.

At number two on the list of top-flowing funds is actively managed PIMCO Income (PIMIX). This fund has had stellar returns on an absolute and relative basis compared with its multisector-bond category, gaining over 8.6% for the trailing one-year period ended Dec. 31. Its risk-adjusted returns over long periods are very impressive, too, beating every one of its category peers over five- and 10-year periods.

"PIMCO recovered really well with PIMCO Income, which was a really good performer after their severe outflows from Total Return," Lamy said. (PIMCO Total Return had around $5.3 billion in outflows in 2017.)
Number nine on the list, Prudential Total Return Bond (PDBAX), is run by a well-resourced and experienced team and has outlegged its intermediate-term bond peers over both long and short periods. Jacobson pointed out that Prudential has improved the fund's pricing, which contributed to our decision to raise the fund's Morningstar Analyst Rating to Silver.

Some other intermediate-term bond funds that were popular with investors included Gold-rated Dodge & Cox Income (DODIX), Bronze-rated American Funds Bond Fund of America (ABNDX), and Neutral-rated Guggenheim Total Return Bond (GIBIX). Municipal bond fund Vanguard Intermediate-Term Tax-Exempt (VWIUX) and short-term bond Vanguard Short-Term Investment-Grade (VFSIX), both rated Silver, also made the list.
Passive funds such as Silver-rated Vanguard Total Bond Market Index (VBMFX) and Fidelity US Bond Index (FBIDX), and Vanguard Short-Term Inflation-Protected Securities Index (VTIPX) were also popular with fixed-income investors.

The Top 25 Funds Investors Bought in 2017
Then there's the tried and true Wellesley VWINX (60% bonds/40% equities). You can buy that in her current account. I've owned VWINX for years. Last year it returned 10% - amazing for that fund.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun..._redirect=true

At TRowePrice the fee was $35 for the purchase. Not sure moving $10k to Vanguard is worth it to avoid the fee - assuming it is reasonable.

Wellington (VWELX), only available to Vanguard customers, is top heavy in stocks, inverse to Wellesley (VWINX).

Old 02-10-2018, 08:06 PM

6,657 posts, read 4,414,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
They are two very different allocation structures. I am invested in both one pre tax and the other after tax. At this point in the market is five years a long enough time horizon to be starting out with Wellington. This is new money going in so any significant losses will during the first few years be becoming from the original seed money. When you have had the investments for a long period of time your losses are really just house money or previous gains and not your original investment. That in the mind of some |(including me|) can make a difference.
Is this money you will need in 5 years?

Old 02-10-2018, 08:10 PM

25,603 posts, read 56,694,011 times
^^Thread title is: Best Fidelity Fund for Retirement in than 5 years - so I assumed only a five-year time horizon.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
^^Thread title is: Best Fidelity Fund for Retirement in than 5 years - so I assumed only a five-year time horizon.
There's a difference in needing all the $ in five years and leaving it in and taking 4% withdrawals. Investment strategies would probably be a little different.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:21 PM

1,767 posts, read 1,755,443 times
Fidelity Freedom 2020 or 2025 possibly?

Old 02-10-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneslip View Post
Fidelity Freedom 2020 or 2025 possibly?
Not a fan of target funds. Of the funds mentioned, Wellesley would be my choice or follow Fidelity Monitor's Income and Growth/Income models, perhaps allocating 50% to each. If you're going to leaving it in and take 4% withdrawals, I'd put it all in the Growth/Income model.

Old 02-10-2018, 08:31 PM

604 posts, read 846,893 times
This is a SEP IRA that we will contribute to but my husband will have to start taking RMDs in 5 years. My husband is older than me and I won't be retiring for another 15 years. So we won't "need" this money. I want to invest it rather than put it in savings with almost no interest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing