Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 12:37 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,237,341 times

Advertisements

Did anyone else buy steel stocks over the last few days? I just bought some Nucor due to FOMO and have my stop-limit sell set around 5% down. I trimmed my FCX a month ago and was looking for a rebound in copper later this year. Who knows with this guy will tariff next, but I don't know how competitive the US wants to be with copper. I believe Chile and Peru are the world's largest producers so that might not be on his radar. Not to get politic, but this tariff idea sounds like a more complicated alternative to TPP and VAT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2018, 03:26 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Just look at what China required Ford to do in regards to transferring intellectual property to allow them to sell vechicles there. That had a huge direct impact on American workers.

Not only that but they impose huge tariffs on American/European products in order to 'allow' them to import them. So companies just set up shop there.

Or if you say no to all of that they just copy your product anyway.

Not too long ago they invited a bunch of nuclear power plant design companies to build one of each reactor. After awarding them the contract and it was built they said "thanks!" and kicked them out of the country. They then copied their power plans and built their own.

Chinese Mercedes G series copy:

IMO these tariffs Trump is proposing are just an opening salvo, a "heads up" to China, that we are coming for them.

I am pro free trade but when other countries take advantage of our hospitality and openness trade should cease. The US is doing everyone a favor right now.
If the U.S. is doing everyone a favor then why not just go after China directly from the jump instead of going after everyone else? This administration loves unnecessary drama.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:36 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,552,838 times
Just a note if you hadn’t seen it already: 107 GOP members send letter to Trump objecting to tariffs.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:16 PM

2,805 posts, read 3,255,171 times
Tariffs are likely a good thing, there is a lot more to running a govt than most of us will ever know, also Trump promised to drain the swamp, lots of those who are now in office are part of the swamp, Trumps policies are cutting into their gravy train money, the money that makes politicians millionaires, it surely is not their salaries that is making them millionaires.

Other presidents put tariffs on steel, why the outcry now. Do you know why tariffs will be good, because the establishment is coming out against them, the same establishment that is on the parole of lobbyists.

US Steel CEO: We're reopening an idled plant and bringing back 500 jobs due to Trump tariffs

Old 03-07-2018, 07:41 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,457,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
If the U.S. is doing everyone a favor then why not just go after China directly from the jump instead of going after everyone else? This administration loves unnecessary drama.
It would be tough right now. China has played it smart and created a fully integrated supply chain over there for many of the things we rely on, namely electronics.

I'd give it some time. If Trump can succeed in moving the trade deficit needle one industry at a time it will have a huge impact on us long term as a country.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,211,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
Tariffs are likely a good thing, there is a lot more to running a govt than most of us will ever know, also Trump promised to drain the swamp, lots of those who are now in office are part of the swamp, Trumps policies are cutting into their gravy train money, the money that makes politicians millionaires, it surely is not their salaries that is making them millionaires.

Other presidents put tariffs on steel, why the outcry now. Do you know why tariffs will be good, because the establishment is coming out against them, the same establishment that is on the parole of lobbyists.

US Steel CEO: We're reopening an idled plant and bringing back 500 jobs due to Trump tariffs
Yup Bush put tariffs on steel. He immeadiately rescinded when it costs over 100,000 jobs.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:14 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,591,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post

500 jobs? well wow that’s certainly worth it. Here is another saying it would cost 20k jobs

https://www.google.com/amp/s/reason....r-industry/amp

Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Trump had scheduled a signing for the tariffs for tomorrow after hearing from lots of people including a large contingent of Congressional Republicans.

Just annouonced on MSNBC ten minutes ago, Trump has now changed his mind and there will be no signing tomorrow.

No word on what he's changed his mind about. I suspect he's back to being his usual stupid self. Hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 03-07-2018 at 09:44 PM..

Old 03-07-2018, 09:20 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Tariffs are likely a good thing,
Selectively, possibly.

Mod Edit

Last edited by The Villages Guy; 03-08-2018 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Please discuss topics, not members. Thx.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:26 AM

106,695 posts, read 108,880,922 times
i agree , we have a healthy economy , markets were doing fine , unemployment is low and the world was clawing it's way out recession .

why mess with that . now his tax cuts threw the fear of inflation in to the bond markets and jacked up rates and hurt the bond market and increased the countries debt load .

there is no good that will come from this ,mark my words
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing